• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Lazy 900

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Wondering if anyone has any hints to get this motor running a little more snappy. Will lowering the starting angle on the helix help? what RPMs are you guys running.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
What are running for set up on the turbine? clutching and gears?

Also what are you running for peak rpm?

As of now the turbo is a Garrett 2871 BB with a .86 exhaust housing. MTX weights @ 80 grams grn/pink primary spring. Gearing is stock for the 166" 19/39 i want to say. Strait 48 helix ill check on the spring. Holding 7650 RPMs now. Can i go higher? or Should i?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
Everyone says run these 9s at like 7700 rpm or so, Maybe it's just mine but the last time I ran it, I was running 7800-7850 all day long and never ran better. Idk if that is out of its rpm range or not, but seems like It would hold the R's better there. With boost you should have no problem running a little higher Rpm! But then again, I could be completely wrong!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
dude, more boost... whats bottom end??

Mine on 10# seems kinda lazy down low, when it was running 14 the other day it just seems to snap to quicker as the wastgate is just hammered closed until your up to full RPM... if your set at 8# the wastegate is begining to open a bit before that so your just not gonna get the same snap down in your low/mids... the obvious solution.. MORE BOOST!!

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Im gonna Drop some weight and see how she does. Ill let eveyone know. Thanks for the help. Im just to used to my snappy rev feel. This sled has always been slower reving.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
HighMark in Boise Built my 900.

Its Real Snappy. Like point and shoot and hold on.

05 900 166 ---

It doesn't matter who builds the motor, these EFI motors will always have a little less throttle response than a carb sled. I wonder how much those new pistons and whatnot in mine will help. 140psi compression vs the 90 that I have been running all season haha.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
It doesn't matter who builds the motor, these EFI motors will always have a little less throttle response than a carb sled.QUOTE]

The fuely turbos I have been around with a little tuning the throttle response is basically instant.

My 700T full race gas set up feels like a 1200WC out of the hole... and a buddy of mine's pg Dragon.. felt like old BB900-910 out of the hole, maybe a bit better.. very snappy

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
It doesn't matter who builds the motor, these EFI motors will always have a little less throttle response than a carb sled.QUOTE]

The fuely turbos I have been around with a little tuning the throttle response is basically instant.

My 700T full race gas set up feels like a 1200WC out of the hole... and a buddy of mine's pg Dragon.. felt like old BB900-910 out of the hole, maybe a bit better.. very snappy

Sorry I think I came off a little harsh, I didn't mean to bash or sound like a know-it-all! My bad! I know that there are some snappy EFI sleds out there, but I haven't ever seen a 900 that is responsive enough to write home about. I guess some are better than others, but these 900s are kinda like a big NA cummins, just torquey, but not super snappy like a dragster or anything.:face-icon-small-dis

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
jskattum606, I'm not positive on the '05, but on my '06 the rev limiter is at 8050 rpm's. She falls on her face fast when I hit the limiter. Turbo or not, I'd be clutching it to run 7800-7900 max so your not bouncing off the limiter all the time.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Speedemon... was just telling you my experience, you didnt come off anyway to me. Everyones experiences can be different, that is what can be good and bad about this site, everyone has a opinion.

I understand the efi frustrations... it really feels like you have your hands tied sometimes. Maybe the 900 isnt "snappy" but he should be able to get a good throttle response out of it. I guess that is what I call snappy.

but on my '06 the rev limiter is at 8050 rpm's. She falls on her face fast when I hit the limiter

There has to be a way around that limiter. I would talk to someone and see if that can be programmed out of the ecu. I am not real familiar with the 9's, just trying to put in general turbo knowledge....

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Ill try and look at the Tach

Pinned riding trees uphill its a little hard to look at the Tach. Usually if I am on a straight climb I back off to about 3/4 throttle for control issues, and it climbs better.

Will take notes and get back. I need to get the Ratchet issue under control.

Found a set of Avids on the shaft used , the Track is basically new but I think the old drivers are shot, too bad they didn't replace the drivers wit the new track.

This is my first year on this sled.

Premium Features