• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 Mcat EFI 600 2 questions.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
1) What should the Compression be, mine can't be right. I'm getting 23psi on the Brake side, and 85psi on the clutch side. Sled still runs..but won't idle and is a dog now.

2) What's the trick to removing the valves. I can't seem to get the wire out to remove the cap.

Thanks.

also is this all i need I've never done a top on a 2 stroke before, or is there more?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arct...01858623QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
That kit looks like everything you would need. I would suggest you stay away from weisco pistons, They seem to have some cold seizure issues in cat sleds. I have had great luck with SPI pistons. You do have a problem on the mag side with only 23 psi.

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
Not sure on your compression but if my memoriy surves me I think it is suppose to be 105 to 125?? not sure

As for your valves...I asume you are talking about APV?
If so..and you can't get the valve out?
_if this is the case you can take a slide hammer and gently..pop the valve body out of the cylinder..I bet it has a lot of carbon build up. Or if you do not have a slide hammer you can take a pair of vise grips and attach them to the valve case and tap on the vise grip till they release.
Or you just cant get the cable out of the valve to get it out of the housing?
-if you have all the valve out and the cable out of the the valve stopper and the return spring is off of the cable..you should just need to take the 2 bolts out of the top of the housing and the cable should come out..if not look under the cap and see if there is a e clip holding the cable also... it has been a while.. but I hope this helps.

I would not use weisco either...SPI are great or use factory pistons... have had the best luck with them lasting longer than weisco!

The kit from ebay is spot on! will need coolant also:)

Hope this helps
Glenn

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
As for the power valves. You need to remove the four bolts on the corners of the cover. It will then move back about 1 inch. There is 2 torqs bolts on the inside. One on each side. Once those are out you can get the whole assembly out. You will want to clean those REALLY good before reassembly.

Here is the pistons you want. Then go to your dealer and order a winderosa top end gasket kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arct...15577714QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Premium Features