• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 cat ignition issues

J

justincredible5

Dec 6, 2007
hey i have a 2003 900 mountain cat i was racing my brother across a lake and i blew a belt pretty hard put a hole in the belly pan bent the clutch cover so i put a new one on and the sled runs like crap it backfires and doesent have any power, i pulled the head off and the pistons look good so i was thinkin maybe i cracked my timing key, could someone please shed some light on this please!

J

justincredible5

Dec 6, 2007
ok it hasnt been ridden how do i go about checkin the crank? is this a complete motor dissasembly adventure>?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
First take the clutch off and set a dial inicator up at the pto end of the shaft to check runnout. .002 is pretty normal by the time you get past .005 you know you have a problem. Thats is quick and simple. Next set the dial indicator up at the spark plug hole, find top dead center on each piston and check that against the timing mark by the stator.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
First take the clutch off and set a dial inicator up at the pto end of the shaft to check runnout. .002 is pretty normal by the time you get past .005 you know you have a problem. Thats is quick and simple. Next set the dial indicator up at the spark plug hole, find top dead center on each piston and check that against the timing mark by the stator.

X2

Just be sure to mount your dial indicator to the motor, and not any place else. It will give you a false reading.

J

justincredible5

Dec 6, 2007
well thanks for the insight guys... not the answer i was hoping to hear lol, but thats what toys are all about. anyone gotta crank sittin on the shelf there not using

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
if its out of phase you can take it to a good crank guy and they can put it back in phase. this will be a full rebuild though and might just be worth the price to have it welded.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
if you do all the labor yourself and have a crank shop do the crank work you will be about 250. if you get a cat manufactured crank your looking about 700 out the door. i would put front and rear seals in if you have it to this point and a new base gasket for the jugs other than that you should be good.

Premium Features