• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 900 1M Chain case cover

F
Dec 9, 2007
While I was riding we stopped to talk and when I went to continue my sled would not move. I had power to the drive system but it was like the chain was binding or I thought maybe a jackshaft bearing. After some tinkering I finally tried moving it again and it "broke loose" and worked. I rode back to the trailer and didnt have any trouble. I took the chain case cover off to check the chain, gears and look at the bearings. I notice on the inside of the cover there is steel plate toward the top with 4 screws and a hole in the middle. It looks like the hole area has been rubbing on something. Any ideas on what that cover is for and could it have bound the chain? or any other ideas would be appreciated.

Joe

The plate you are talking about is just a cover for the vent for the chain case. I'm not sure if it could cause problems but it shouldn't be rubbing on anything. If the chain was too loose it could have bound up somewhere then just loosened up on its own. Question....Did you have it apart or change chains or gears or anything like that? You can put the bottom gears on backwards. The flat part of gear should be facing out and the side with the lip on it should be towards the bearing. May help,Jim

F
Dec 9, 2007
Thanks for the info. I have never had the gears or chain apart. There is obvious rubbing on the oil vent cover. The chain seems good and tight so i dont know about binding. How would i know if the jackshaft bearing is going bad.

joe

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I have noticed the screw heads have been touched by the chain from time to time on mine also.

I wonder if running the 15 wide top gear and the 13 wide bottom might allow a bit more movement letting it wonder a bit more. I just think the 15 wide chain is a very tight fit.

Shouldn't be enough to hold you up I wouldn't think.

Thunder

K
Jan 11, 2009
Is it possible u could have heated up the track clips and hyfax and when u stopped riding the clips get stuck and the tracklocks up it has happened to me before..feels like chain case is locked up..

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Oh I guess you answered that. I guess you could check side-side motion on your jackshaft to see if there is any strange side-side play.

F
Dec 9, 2007
my guess is heated hyfax and the track clips. I was riding on hardpack without my scratchers down. when we stopped i put them down. everything in the chain case looks good.

thanks,

joe

Premium Features