• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timing Removal Vs Head Shim

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
OK I started a thread a few weeks ago about MPI timing removal vs Head shim.

Started doing some research and found that with the PCV PTI you can add on a timing module to pull timing based on boost.

So my question is can you effectively pull enough timing to run 12-13pounds of boost at sea level on pump gas and still make power?

The sled will have a gt2871 with a Tial Housing that is intercooled.

Thoughts

Mike

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN

Very helpfull. Can I ask why not? Do you have proof that it cant be done?

Im going to be running a PCV on mine with a MAF sensor and I still had to do a head shim. for 12 psi.

MAF as in Mass Air Flow sensor? This is interesting if it true didnt think PCV had this option.

12psi at sea level with a head shim on PG has been done over and over. Thats not the issue. I want to know/see if I can do it with just pulling timing.

For those of you who think I might be nuts. I have a Automotive Service degree,Machining degree, and a Mechanical Engineering degree. This isnt my first rodeo when it comes to force induction.

I have the complete system drawing up in CAD and have run flow analysis on the intake and exhaust piping.

I will say this the way the a lot of inter cooler and for sure the 180hp kits run the piping causes a lot of turbulence and unequally volume to the cylinders.

Mike

S

sheetwright

Mar 17, 2009
Plainfield Il.
The max I could go with just a shim was 12lbs, by adding the ignition module, pcv, and a better bov from ulmer I got my nytro dynoed and maxed out for 92 octane at 13.5lbs at sea level. The ignition module in conjunction with the pcv will allow you to do this, but just doing one or the other will not. I'm maxed he said with my shim, and head studs unless I do more engine work or better gas. Im sure h&h, ulmer, or osp could walk you through this. I know h&h and ulmer both do mpi flatland stuff.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
The max I could go with just a shim was 12lbs, by adding the ignition module, pcv, and a better bov from ulmer I got my nytro dynoed and maxed out for 92 octane at 13.5lbs at sea level. The ignition module in conjunction with the pcv will allow you to do this, but just doing one or the other will not. I'm maxed he said with my shim, and head studs unless I do more engine work or better gas. Im sure h&h, ulmer, or osp could walk you through this. I know h&h and ulmer both do mpi flatland stuff.

Haha I was just responding to you over on TY.

Did you happen to try it with just PCV with ignition module no head shim. It sounds like you started with a head shim then add PCV and ignition.

Are you running extra injectors or bigger injectors? I would also assume you are running a external fuel pump with a 1:1 regulator.

Mike

Premium Features