• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'03 900 Power Valve Cable Length Spec

P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
Anybody know the answer to this one, I have been trying to figue this out as well?

P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
I have an 03 as well, how do you know if the sled is early or late build 03 ? I adjusted my apv's and got the short spec from the dealer but did not say anything about a differetn spec for the late builds. I would start my sled and the servo motor would cycle 3 times indicating there is a problem. So I did some measuring and mine were way out of adjustment. (nearly half inch out according to the spec arctic cat gave me) so I adjusted the cable and I am about out of threads but got it within spec. started sled and servo motor now cycles once. But something does not seem right with the adjustors in the cable, those cables shouldn't stretch that much in 1500 miles. I and wondering if I need to go with the longer cable length spec. I am wondering if the valves are closing all the way now, but servo motor is doing what it is suposed to? got any input it would appriciated thanks guys!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Early and late builds did have different lenght cables to go with the different set of adjusments. Yo should have just a very little freeplay in your cables. You are probably right on the end of your cables and need to get the new ones. The easy to see difference in early and late build sleds was the early had dimples on the running boards, the late had the cross cut bumps and the early had the chaincase sticking below the belly pan and exposed, the late had a plastic cover protecting the lower chaincase.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
You must have the wrong cables for your sled. The later cables are longer to match the longer adjustment spec. If you have the early build the cdi has to use the short cable to get the clock position right on the apv motor or it will think there is a problem, cycle three times to check itself and then not open until you correct the problem. Did somebody recently replace the cables or the cdi? If so you could have ended up with the wrong one to match the other.

P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
Thanks for the help. based on the info you guys gave me I have a late build mc 900. The spec that Arctic cat gave me was for a early build ( shorter exposed cable and that would be why I am out adjustment) so I will go with the longer measurement and hope that the servo motor only cycles once. when I started my exposed cable measured just shy of 1 3/4 ( really slack at the servo motor) I tightend about 1/2 inch of cable to get to the early spec. If my math is right the late spec should be 1.54 inches. and right now I am adjusted to about 1.25 inches. I sure hope this works thanks for the help again! This makes scence to me let me know If I am wrong!!!! lol:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features