• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'02 Mtn Cat 800 Issue

W
Nov 20, 2008
I have an '02 800 Mtn Cat, completely stock, 1000 original miles. I rode it about 65 miles on saturday and it ran great. It sat outside overnight at the cabin and got snowed on and in the morning it started up just fine, but it didn't want to engage the track. I let it warm it for over 10 minutes. I could get the RPMs, but the clutch didn't want to grab the belt and go. It burned off/scraped off some of the belt so I switch to a new belt. Didn't make much difference but finally it took off. I pretty much had to pin it to get going and finally it grabbed. After I rode it a bit it seemed to be back to normal. It just seemed like something was froze?? Any ideas?

P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
just guessing your track or drivers/ drive shaft was froze. When you parked it I am sure there was some heat in those parts and the froze up on you over night.

W
Nov 20, 2008
That was my guess too. Is there anything I can do to help break it free in the mornings? Is there any risk of damage? It sure didn't feel good having to force it to run. Thanks for the feedback!

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Pick up the rear end and slam it to the ground and push forward while your doing it, helps to get a buddy to do it with you, the downward force pushed on the track should give you traction and the forward momentum should spin the track and break the drivers free.

R
Dec 26, 2011
idaho falls, Idaho
I have had that happen on my 02 when i go riding for the weekend and go to ride it the next morning. I have the habit of lifting the back end and dropping it every morning.It is just something that i found my self doing. And i dont have it sticking anymore.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I would put the track up and turn the secondary by hand should turn fairly easy. Could have water in chain case from a bad o-ring on the bearing. I would check to see if you have a milk colored oil in there. Just to be safe. The 02 has a bad bearing on the drive shaft on the pto side or speedo that has grooves in it to let in grease but what happens is you forget to grease and water get in.

Premium Features