• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loss of rpms

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
i have an 08 xp took primary apart and saw the orings were pretty much gone -have about 1300 miles on it. first time apart. replaced them and all were wore out after two days ride? lined everything up the way it came apart??? why they wear out. the black buttons?? not sure what they called are pretty wore too. will dealer replace this as warranty?
Slider buttons and o-rings are a wear item (probably need replacing every 1,000 miles or less), so probably no warranty. Did you replace the o-rings w/ the OEM ones? I had my clutch apart this weekend and noticed that the OEM ones are made of a pretty hard material, most likely to withstand the heat. I'm guessing that hardware store replacements would fail pretty quickly. If you put in new OEM buttons and o-rings then maybe you'll have valid warranty claim, but I'm guessing if they failed in two days of riding, then you did something wrong on the install. Could also be that there is something else wrong with your clutch (spring cup bushing comes to mind), which is causing your issue.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Slider buttons and o-rings are a wear item (probably need replacing every 1,000 miles or less), so probably no warranty. Did you replace the o-rings w/ the OEM ones? I had my clutch apart this weekend and noticed that the OEM ones are made of a pretty hard material, most likely to withstand the heat. I'm guessing that hardware store replacements would fail pretty quickly. If you put in new OEM buttons and o-rings then maybe you'll have valid warranty claim, but I'm guessing if they failed in two days of riding, then you did something wrong on the install. Could also be that there is something else wrong with your clutch (spring cup bushing comes to mind), which is causing your issue.

X2.....If there are other areas of your clutch that are out of spec, then the vibration will quickly take out the 0-rings and just about everything else. If the spring cap is origial or even replaced before '09 I can almost guarantee it has excessive clearance. These clutches wear very quick unless everything is in perfect condition and regularly maintained by blowing out with compressed air every few rides.

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
The little silver thing with the 2 wires is the dpm. Unplug it remove small screw comes right out. watch for the 2 small O rings on the end. I did the check with a 9 volt battery. Take two wires and put in the plug in holes that go to the unit and touch them to the 9 volt. it should click and the small post inside should move. Black wire from the plug in I put to the negative side of the 9volt and the other to the posotive. Dont know if that was right but mine clicked and moved doing it that way. sprayed with WD40 and put back.

I am working on this tonight... just looked where is the little screw the comes out? can't see to good in there. Am I suppose to take the hole black plastic peice out that the silver thing is contected to or.. does the silver thing come out without having to take it all out.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Easiest to remove the airbox and then unplug the hoses and the electrical plug and take the whole manifold out. This way when you drop the tiny screw or either of the 2 o-rings it isn't under the engine.....don't ask me how I know :face-icon-small-con

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
Easiest to remove the airbox and then unplug the hoses and the electrical plug and take the whole manifold out. This way when you drop the tiny screw or either of the 2 o-rings it isn't under the engine.....don't ask me how I know :face-icon-small-con

ah that is probably a good idea :) so do I take out the phillips screw that is hold the plastic bracket to the intake. looking straight into the engine.

Premium Features