• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rabbit ears pass to Buff pass

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Seeing as you can see rabbit ears from the Buff pass parking lot, I would say yes. Pretty sure there is a trail that connects up.

R
Mar 16, 2010
Seeing as you can see rabbit ears from the Buff pass parking lot, I would say yes. Pretty sure there is a trail that connects up.

Where do you park for Buffalo pass? The parking area I use for "Buff pass" is completely surrounded by trees & RE is nowhere near visible.

For the OP - riding from Muddy Creek to Buffalo Pass - the big intersection - is about 10-12 miles. It is very doable.

EDIT - my response assumes the OP is wanting to know if it is generally possible when snow is on the ground, not right this second.

Last edited:
N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
Trail is still thin connecting the two, impassable at this time. Or at least the only way i know how to go, i would imagine there are some other routes...

Lots of big rocks.

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
For buff pass I drive down to the end of fish lake falls? You turn at Wells Fargo in steamboat and go 11 miles up behind there

S
Mar 30, 2013
Park on RE or the Walden side, PLEASE!

First and most importantly, I'm all about everybody riding and I'm not looking to keep something that's not mine to myself.

Let's lay out out a scenario here, shall we. Let's say you live in the fine town of SBS or in the county for that matter. You leave your house, drive ten minutes to the Buff parking lot and it's full of trucks and trailers owed by people who drove an extra hour to park at "Buff" and the forrest service guys tell you, who lives here, to go to RE and park because the lot is full. My guess is, the first thing out of your mouth would be, WTF! The majority of these trucks and trailers drive right past the turn off to Walden and the multiple parking lots on RE Pass. Please be respectful to those of us who live in Routt County that want to use the ever so convenient parking lot that is really close to our houses.

I personally can't understand the logic to drive an extra hour to park in that really small parking lot with a big trailer when Buff is at most, a twenty minute ride from the summit of RE Pass.

I'm really not a jaded SBS resident, because if people weren't coming here to ride and spend their money, I wouldn't have a job. So, please keep coming to SBS to ride, just don't take your big trailer, that takes up 5 + parking spaces in the small parking lot, to "Buff" just so you can say, "we rode Buff today!".

Also, the majority of the people who ride that live in SBS don't even take trailers up there, so we have more room to park. I know guys in town that take their sleds out of their trailers and truck them up there just for that reason.

PLEASE PEOPLE, I'M BEGGING YOU FOR MYSELF AND ON BEHALF OF THE REST OF THE SBS RIDERS THAT DO NOTHING BUT B!TCH ABOUT THIS PROBLEM.

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
This can't be a serious post! I am pretty sure that lot is for everyone not just SBS peeps. Why would you think SBS peeps should have dibs on parking there? Imagine how early, and how much thought was given, let alone money spent , by people who were there when you arrived. Just because you live in SBS doesn't make it YOUR lot. Get real!

S
Mar 30, 2013
Common Sense is lost these days….

This can't be a serious post! I am pretty sure that lot is for everyone not just SBS peeps. Why would you think SBS peeps should have dibs on parking there? Imagine how early, and how much thought was given, let alone money spent , by people who were there when you arrived. Just because you live in SBS doesn't make it YOUR lot. Get real!

This is a very serious post… I love it when people read and hear what they want to read and hear. Look at the big picture! If you are living at 10K feet, that makes you, "one of those guys". You drive right past the RE Pass parking lots, where there is more than enough room to park. This isn't downtown Denver where you are trying to get prime parking for a f-n sporting event.

The first thing I said is that i'm not trying to keep something that isn't mine, to myself. I have plenty of riding buddies who live in the front range, that meet us at the power lines. I know, it's a tough concept for most….

Think about it! How would you feel if you lived 10 minutes away from unloading your sled and you're told by forrest service that you have to drive up RE Pass to ride in your backyard because people like you drove right past RE Pass parking lots. It's BS. The forrest service guys even complain about it…

My guess is that you're one of those people who like to stir the pot…

Premium Features