• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulling sway bar off.

R
Sep 3, 2008
boise idaho
Okay my sled seems to pull over in the pow fine but should i really pull it off? My dad thinks i should leave it and i have no clue if i should cut it? yes i ride the powder and off trail and dont trail much... Please leave your opinion so i could let my dad know other peoples input on this.
Thanks

M

maddog21

Mar 19, 2008
Charter Oak, Iowa
I cut the sway bar off the 2000 rmk and 2004 vertical escape. never had problem on pow and trail and climbing but going down on the hill is alittle different so better keep it in good control.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
You have to remember that the advise you seek only comes from those that did something. You go ahead and remove the sway bar, then clarity will be had. The way most of us learned anything about sway bars is when they broke mid-ride, for the better or the worse. Your opinion on the merits of sway bars awaits. Do it.

Volvokvaloya

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2008
Northern Norway
I ride with the trail arms in the narrowest position and no sway bar now.
But if you decide to remove dont cut it!!,it takes you about 10 minutes to remove it the correct way and if you dont like it then you just put it on again.
Take one of the trail arms of and just loose the other one a little bit,drill out the rivets for the sway bar bushings and just slide it right out!
Tadaa..Your Edge is now following the M`s in the steep and trees :face-icon-small-hap:first:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
^^^x2, drill the rivets and take off a trailing arm to remove. Don't cut it, that way if it isn't to your liking you can simply reinstall it with 6 new rivets. You'll probably leave it off, I was cruising trail at 65mph the other day with no sway bar on mine, felt fine. Then you get it in the deep and can really do what you want.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2010
Removed mine last year, but didn't get a whole bunch of time to test it out since my crankshaft broke about 3hrs into the first day. I did like it for the short amount of time I rode it though. I made up some diamond plate covers to go over the factory holes.

R
Sep 20, 2010
I ride with the trail arms in the narrowest position and no sway bar now.
But if you decide to remove dont cut it!!,it takes you about 10 minutes to remove it the correct way and if you dont like it then you just put it on again.
Take one of the trail arms of and just loose the other one a little bit,drill out the rivets for the sway bar bushings and just slide it right out!
Tadaa..Your Edge is now following the M`s in the steep and trees :face-icon-small-hap:first:

Goinboardin;2515897[COLOR=red said:
]^^^x2, drill the rivets and take off a trailing arm to remove. Don't cut it, that way if it isn't to your liking you can simply reinstall it with 6 new rivets.[/COLOR] You'll probably leave it off, I was cruising trail at 65mph the other day with no sway bar on mine, felt fine. Then you get it in the deep and can really do what you want.

X1000. That thing is a PITA to cut off unless you have the right tools. Exactly what these guys said.^^^^^^ I took mine off and will NEVER have one on again. I love it now. Much easier to ride with less effort too. :face-icon-small-coo

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I would take it off. but you don't have to cut it. just drill out the rivets in the bushings and un bolt the back of a trailing arm and it will slide out. that way if you want it back on you can.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Only a fool cuts apart something that is worth something to another rider. Smarter to take it out correctly and never know that you might need it.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have sway bars for sale to all you who cut yours off HAHAHA I don't think any one has ever put them back on.

boondocker rick

Premium Member
Aug 30, 2010
eagle river WI
Take it off the right way. you may have to stiffen your shocks depending on your style, remember the sway bar links both shocks to work together! I have been removing them for 10 years. my biggest gain is sidehilling but more so is jumping[you can correct the sled better at the point of lunch] good luck. I dont know anybody that put one back on. not even for resale.

Premium Features