• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bdx lite weight driveshaft brake rotor and gears

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
Ok so I was looking to take some weight off my 10 M8 and and some had mentioned before that they liked the bdx stuff. I was looking to see if its really with the pretty much $700 to get the gears, brake rotor, pads and lite weight drive shaft from BDX.

Are the gears any lighter than the stockers or just stronger. I've also heard that the drive shaft isnt any lighter than the stocker once they changed them up after the first year on the m7. Does any one have any real world experience with this stuff and actually weighed the parts to see if there is a real weight loss?

Bills R.E. Repair

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, WA
bdx lite weight drive

You need to contact Kelsey at RKT and Kevin at Mountain Magic Sports.
They both have had a lot of experience with this stuff - its not so much weight loss as it is rotating mass. They can help you!
Bill

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I have all three on my M7. The driveshaft, a complete DD from BD, and I just put on the light weight rotor and pads. The driveshaft I doubt is any lighter (didn't weigh it but doubt it), but I did loose the long bolt going thru it that did shed a little weight but probably not enough to make much difference. I bought a complete DD from them because I was going thru the stock ones like hot cakes. They recommended the drive shaft also because I'd loose the long bent bolt going all the way thru the shaft. Whether their gears are stronger or it has been the combination of their gears and their driveshaft but I've had a lot fewer DD problems with their set up than I did with stock stuff. I didn't weigh the rotor and pads either but the rotor is definitely lighter just from feeling both of them in each hand. The pads felt about the same, but like someone said, less rotating mass is the best weight to take off. That probably isn't exactly what you're looking for but that the info I have on it.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
BDX

Its not the gears its the gear case that is 8lb lighter. The drive is more like the M7 drive than the 2010 gear box holds 5 oz of oil instead of 15.

Ok so I was looking to take some weight off my 10 M8 and and some had mentioned before that they liked the bdx stuff. I was looking to see if its really with the pretty much $700 to get the gears, brake rotor, pads and lite weight drive shaft from BDX.

Are the gears any lighter than the stockers or just stronger. I've also heard that the drive shaft isnt any lighter than the stocker once they changed them up after the first year on the m7. Does any one have any real world experience with this stuff and actually weighed the parts to see if there is a real weight loss?

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
I was actually thinking looking at doing these as a way of getting the rotating mass down more than looking for a large weight loss overall for the sled.
I was thinking of doing the brake for sure and you have to do the pads according to the site with the rotor or it will wear too fast. I was just wanting to see if there was any use in buying the drive shaft or gears or is there no real weight loss on those.

B
Dec 21, 2006
The drive shaft is the same weight but it is longer since the gear case doesn't intrude into the tunnel as far. The gears are stronger, not welded together like the stockers. I did this setup on my 2007 and couldn't be happier.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just to be sure you get what big red is saying, you can't just buy the shaft (07 & newer), you have to buy the DD lite as well.

No one change is huge, but when you pair up a few of them it starts being a rather noticeable difference.

Premium Features