• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: SKINZ Air Frame Running Boards

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got the 2nd board installed today at lunch.
Went in very quickly now that I have done it once before.
Used more adhesive to get a better more complete seal than yesterday.

While I didn't need it, it would be nice to have an extra mixing tube or two laying around just in case. But when the 6 minutes was up, the tube was solid.

Now to roll the sled back off it's side, slide the sled stand underneath, and start drilling all the holes to mount the traction studs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have to say that the instruction booklet that they included is quite nice. I suppose I offer a bit more detailed photos than they did, but their booklet certainly walked me through the whole process.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Does skinz reccomend you use the Lord adhesive? Or is it just something you decided to do on your own to make a stronger joint? I was hoping when I bought the boards, that it would be a rivit in deal only? Any thoughts?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was told to use it by one of their test riders who used the Air Frame boards last winter and thought the Lord Adhesive made a noticeable difference in structural rigidity.

There is NOTHING in their literature that suggests you use it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Tonight I mounted the TRACTION STUDS on one of the boards.

All of the stud holes have to be Center Punched first.
picture.php

Then drilled out with two different bits.
There is a large bit for the outside tube, and a small bit for the inside tubes.
picture.php

Each stud in then SLOWLY screwed into the hole.
The wall thickness on the outside tube is MUCH greater than on the inside tubes. When the stud is tight on the outside tube you can fell it.

But be CAREFULL on the inside tubes. It is VERY easy to strip the tube with just an extra 1/4 turn of the ratchet. The wall thickness is much thinner on these tubes.

picture.php

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Looks good Chris,did you have to locktite them to make sure they don't come out?
I would bet your boards won't be holding snow this season,nice.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Looks good.

But, I do have a question.
Why are you using a hand ratchet? You have a compressor now, a 1/4" air ratchet makes disassembling and reassembling sleds a joy. Most 1/4" air rackets will not have enough power to strip out most fasteners.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks good.

But, I do have a question.
Why are you using a hand ratchet? You have a compressor now, a 1/4" air ratchet makes disassembling and reassembling sleds a joy. Most 1/4" air rackets will not have enough power to strip out most fasteners.

EASY ANSWER

STRIPPING!

The studs that go into the inner tubes have to be tightened EVER SO GENTLY or they will strip out. The wall thickness on those tubes is not all that great and it wouldn't take much at all to spin one of those studs. I can't see doing it with an air tool and NOT stripping out a bunch of them. The outside tube would be fine. It has plenty of metal to bite on and you can "Feel" when the stud is torqued down and it's time to release. But I could barely ever feel that on the inner tubes.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks good Chris,did you have to locktite them to make sure they don't come out?
I would bet your boards won't be holding snow this season,nice.
I never even considered doing the locktight on them?

Really do NOT know how they will stand up to real world use.

With the INSTALL portion of this project almost finished, now I have to wait for another 2 months for the REVIEW portion when I finally get to take it out in the snow and see what happens.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
EASY ANSWER

STRIPPING!

The studs that go into the inner tubes have to be tightened EVER SO GENTLY or they will strip out. The wall thickness on those tubes is not all that great and it wouldn't take much at all to spin one of those studs. I can't see doing it with an air tool and NOT stripping out a bunch of them. The outside tube would be fine. It has plenty of metal to bite on and you can "Feel" when the stud is torqued down and it's time to release. But I could barely ever feel that on the inner tubes.

I use my air ratchet on all my small fasteners, I found I had very little stripping using the air ratchet and a long extension than when doing the plastic fasteners by only hand.

Stripping is over torquing, use Locktite and less torque.

When using air tools, to lower the Torque use less air pressure or longer extensions.

The big thing is your doing it yourself, not paying some one to do it.
So it doesn't matter how it gets done, just that it gets done.
:focus:
What's next?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here was the torque issue I noticed on the inner tubes.

To get the stud started took a look of down pressure.

The first revolution took the most torque.

Then it dropped to almost NO FRICTION at all, and the stud would turn effortlessly.

And lastly as the head of the stud started to get close to the tube itself, there was a little bit of friction once again, but if I wasn't really attentive and

LOOKING at the head, and extra quarter turn on VERY LOW TORQUE would just strip it right out.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Looking at the screw, it looks like the thread design tapers back just before the head. They were designed for thicker metal.
They may feel like there stripping out, but can you pull them straight out?
I'm wondering if they would loosen up over time with the threads like that.
picture.php

Here was the torque issue I noticed on the inner tubes.

To get the stud started took a look of down pressure.

The first revolution took the most torque.

Then it dropped to almost NO FRICTION at all, and the stud would turn effortlessly.

And lastly as the head of the stud started to get close to the tube itself, there was a little bit of friction once again, but if I wasn't really attentive and

LOOKING at the head, and extra quarter turn on VERY LOW TORQUE would just strip it right out.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looking at the screw, it looks like the thread design tapers back just before the head. They were designed for thicker metal.
They may feel like there stripping out, but can you pull them straight out?
I'm wondering if they would loosen up over time with the threads like that.
They are all tight.
I was very careful not to strip any of them by over-tightening them. As soon as the head touched the bar, I stopped tightening.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
They are all tight.
I was very careful not to strip any of them by over-tightening them. As soon as the head touched the bar, I stopped tightening.

So if you didn't strip any, then you really don't know just how easy they really would strip. Or am I missing something? Just seems odd to me that they would strip THAT easy. Sounds like if you look at them wrong they will strip on their own. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It just felt like each one of them was about to break loose to me.
I spoke to Skinz about this at the Snow Show this last Saturday.
They told me they screw them in using an electric screw driver with the tension set to 1, the very lowest setting on the screwdriver.

Premium Features