• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Edge Project *Pics*

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
You make me jealous !
I'd love to put that skid in my sled !
Nice work, cant wait to see the results !

Only one thought--how about polishing the rails to a mirror Finnish to show off all your hard work ?

Proflow

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
long live the edges:D

whats the weight savings on the newer skid?

why did you move the skid so far back is it to clear the drivers or does the newer susp. need a different location?

your gonna love that track they are sweet

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
So you have to move skid back same amount back as track drive to get front/rear suspension mount at correct distance from track drive axle? Then move rear suspention mount back as well?? would this be correct??

E
Feb 22, 2009
Correct "this1ultraflyz" Reason for re-location of the skid is becasue the extended chaincase brings your jackshaft back and down lower into your tunnel from the original location, thus allowing us edge riders to run the bigger tracks without any issues. I have so much room I could have installed a 3" lug track but elected not to at this time. Also the rails will have to be trimmed as the extrovert drivers are frigin huge and their is no chance at all you could install this skid back far enough to clear the drivers. Also yes if you move the front mounts you need to move the back mounts the EXACT same or you will have some major issues going on.

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
I have always thought about doing this but I worry about handling when you are setting the suspension back so far?
Is your stock edge brake system going to bolt up to that Avid chain case?

I can tell you one thing, you'll absolutely love that 2.5 camo track, they are awesome. My buddy just put one on his m1000 and he loves it.

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
I did this project earlier this fall except I did a 174 3".

The skid set back is not equal to the drive set back.

Again, there is so much room between the track and the front of the tunnel it's awesome, even with the 3inch lug! I've got no problems with snow evacuation!!!!

Unfortunately, I've only had this bad boy out once. The performance gain over last years set up (159x2, stock chain case) is flat out amazing. The early snow didn't have much of a base basically a lot of fluff on hard ground/rocks/sticks, etc... This sled is just a tractor!!! Half throttle on hills that I would have had it pegged last year. The only thing I've changed is my gear ratio, clutching has stayed the same.

Nice job on install ezsmoke420! If you have any other questions or need pictures let me know...

Andy

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
I did this project earlier this fall except I did a 174 3".

The skid set back is not equal to the drive set back.

Again, there is so much room between the track and the front of the tunnel it's awesome, even with the 3inch lug! I've got no problems with snow evacuation!!!!

Unfortunately, I've only had this bad boy out once. The performance gain over last years set up (159x2, stock chain case) is flat out amazing. The early snow didn't have much of a base basically a lot of fluff on hard ground/rocks/sticks, etc... This sled is just a tractor!!! Half throttle on hills that I would have had it pegged last year. The only thing I've changed is my gear ratio, clutching has stayed the same.

Nice job on install ezsmoke420! If you have any other questions or need pictures let me know...

Andy

Um ya, I want to see a picture of that for sure. Can you post a couple up?:beer;

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Yeah, it's pretty cool I got at least 3/4" of clearance between the track tips and the front cooler. Here's a couple of pictures of the beast... and the beasts.

E
Feb 22, 2009
The stock Edge Braking system will not bolt up to the chaincase. In 03-04' The Vert Escapes came with the "Phantom Brake" which is quite a bit different from the Edge brake caliber. GRRR, having a hard time finding one as well. $300 part from the dealership if i can't find one in a salvage yard around here. No luck as of yet.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I think that the wilwood caliper bolts up to that.... Use the stock master cyl...you may need an adapter on the caliper to use your stock brake hose.

Call up Curt at FTX..
They have this hard to find caliper in stock.... $129
CNC billet aluminum dual piston caliper*3.5" bolt mounting center fits many polaris and arctic cat chaincases*dual piston design for phenominal braking power*top load design for easy pad maintenence*anodized black*use with our bolt on adapter for older polaris top load chaincases(some wedge chassis,all gen2,evolved,aggressive chassis)*perfect match for the wilwood master cylinder.

NEW%20WEBSITE%20PICS%20190.jpg

E
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks Mountianhorse!! I called Curtis, he's not sure if it bolts up to the Edge or the Escape or if it fits the Gen II???...I guesse they recently changed the design and mounting position on the caliber. Has anyone ever installed this caliber into an Escape? Any special tips or mounting brackets required? I'm leaning towards this idea, or I'm thinking i might just have to fab up a bracket and tie in the old system somehow.

I
Dec 20, 2009
West Coast BC
I just installed a 159" x 2.4" 2.52 pitch series IV track from a 2006 900 RMK .... onto a 2003 RMK 800 which had a 151" X 2" 2.52 pitch.
I used the stock drivers ( 9 tooth) and my clearance is only 1/8 to 1/4" ..... Do you think I will lose power from the track trying to clear the snow?
Has anyone else done the same mod as this?

E
Feb 22, 2009
I'm not sure that you will lose power, but more clearance the better. I think you will be ok. Might get iced up a bit duing wet conditions and rub though.

Premium Features