• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trailer brake wiring Ford vs GMC

H
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Cle Elum
So buddy is going to haul my 4 place enclosed next weekend we plug it in all the lights work but no brakes.... works fine on my Ford but not on his GMC, Are they not wired the same? I have hooked my Ford up to other trailers with no problem His GMC is a 2008 2500 my Ford a 2000 350.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
All brake wiring on vehicles should be identical through out the years, more or less to a "code" of sorts. You wouldnt think there would be a ground issue on a truck that new, but might be something worth checking out? Or read over the Gm's manual again, and see if theres a little trick your missing. I put a fancy plug and play aftermarket controller in my 05 Ford, and everything seems to work normal... Hopefully its something easy for ya!

I do think that Ford and Chevy might have different wiring schematics. The enclosed trailer interior lights will work with my friend's 2000 Ford F250 powerstroke but will not work with my 2005 Chevy Duramax.

Last edited:
W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
all makes for the last 10 years plus are wired identicle--some people have a trailer wired with a center pin brake instead of auxillery power and there for switch the wires in there truck to match and thats where they mess up--test where the brake controler wire is on your truck then ck the gmc should have the wiring diagram on the flip cap---been the same for yeaaaaars:confused:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
what would i need to do to get 12 volt lights in trailer to run off the truck. it works when hooked to a ford but not my chevy

O
Dec 20, 2007
You GM guys need to go under your hoods and open the fuse box and add a fuse. Stud 1 and stud 2 should be used. I believe they should be 30 amps. They are bigger style fuses, not sure what style.

B
Dec 21, 2006
The new body 07.5 and newer have a wire that is bundled by the fuse box. this needs to be attached to either stud 1 or 2 at the front of the fuse box. The fuse is already installed. There are 2 of them there. One is for an aftermarket brake controller and one of for the factory controller. Hook them both up and check your plug at the back of the truck.

Premium Features