• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for 450fx fork setup and running map options

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
New to snow bikes Putting a 2016 TM ST kit on a 2016 YZ450FX. And looking for some good direction on fork set up. And mapping direction and if stock exhaust is good enough or is there any real advantage to aftermarket exhaust. I am 230 with gear and ride from 2 to 8000 feet in all kinds of snow conditions. Thanks in advance.

Also likely to remain a snowbike so I'm not afraid to go deep into the forks and leave them like that.

N
Dec 18, 2015
Stiffer spring on the fork.... and push the fork legs all the way down flush with the top bracket. Add a few clicks to rebound and compression... similar to sand setup.

Mapping...
High grip / sand... looking for link.. stay tuned!.

N
Dec 18, 2015
Suspension run last winter.
Playing with the mapping now...
Top map is what I intend to use.... note that you need that handheld tuner to change it.
This is the recommended map from Yamaha... STOCK EXHAUST and AIRFILTER.

So I will pay close attention how it runs as the Airfilter is modded for winter... but I have attempted to keep airflow as similar to stock as possible.

Change the Exhaust ... then map would need to be custom.

Finally I dont think people have dynoed at snowbike and measured exhaust etc to get best performance at snowbike temps and elevations so you milage may vary.

Will know more this winter.... will have identical bikes different maps... but it will only be by look and feel what works best... lower altitude and possibly not as cold here versus where you are.

IMG_3286.jpg GYTR-Power-Tuner-banner3.jpg

Last edited:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Give us a call here at RMS, we sell custom built fork springs for riders of all abilities and weights. We will consult with you on your riding style and setup and get you into the correct springs that you need.

I will also look at the map we settled on for our FX's. They were using our intake and a GYTR slip on exhaust.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Give us a call here at RMS, we sell custom built fork springs for riders of all abilities and weights. We will consult with you on your riding style and setup and get you into the correct springs that you need.

I will also look at the map we settled on for our FX's. They were using our intake and a GYTR slip on exhaust.

This is the map I liked the best here in CO. at 10k of elevation and 91 non-Ethanol pump gas:

picture.php

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
The map I'm using on my 16 with stock exhaust is -4 on all fuel settings and +4 on all timing. I'm pretty much a knuckle dragger when it comes to bike tuning, but all I know is my bike runs well with minor decel popping on occasion.

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
Ive been playing with maps all season. I was using a few similar to RMKcowboy's mentioned above. I jumped on a friends FX who has Toby's map above and I could feel his bike pull noticeably harder. I was reluctant to try toby's map as a I was presuming it would be to rich and thought a leaner fuel delivery would help with over fueling. I now have Toby's map loaded and in my bike.
If you haven't tried you should. It made a difference on my bike.
I also had a DR D full system which I ran most of the season. I put the stocker back on and haven't really noticed a difference or than noise (Dr D being way louder in higher RPM).
I put in 0.58 fork springs and added 20ml of oil to each side of the outer chambers and am very happy with my fork. I'm 220 without gear. I ride fairly aggressively but shy away from jumps unless its real nice snow.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Ive been playing with maps all season. I was using a few similar to RMKcowboy's mentioned above. I jumped on a friends FX who has Toby's map above and I could feel his bike pull noticeably harder. I was reluctant to try toby's map as a I was presuming it would be to rich and thought a leaner fuel delivery would help with over fueling. I now have Toby's map loaded and in my bike.
If you haven't tried you should. It made a difference on my bike.
I also had a DR D full system which I ran most of the season. I put the stocker back on and haven't really noticed a difference or than noise (Dr D being way louder in higher RPM).
I put in 0.58 fork springs and added 20ml of oil to each side of the outer chambers and am very happy with my fork. I'm 220 without gear. I ride fairly aggressively but shy away from jumps unless its real nice snow.

Interesting, what elevation range do you typically ride?

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
Has anyone found any better maps so far, i have a full gytr system installed but do to zero snow this year i have yet to have a chance to test. Planning a trip to Revy soon and i am going to start with Toby's map if no one has anything else

Thanks

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
.62 fork springs in mine. Didn’t touch the valving. I added airpro and love it. I run between 4 and 10 lbs of air. With this setup i can actually use the compression and rebound dampning adjustments to tune for conditions. I’ve been running my compression way softer and it’s fairly plush without ever bottoming in normal riding conditions. Havn’t had the opportunity to catch any decent air yet this year unfortunately.
I have the pr2 and like it but not sure i would go there again. 700 bucks hurts and my bike ran great without it. I was running fairly high on both ignition and fuel with stock ecu. I’m at 7-10000 ft. I mix 110 with 91 non ethanol. I also have Toby’s pod intake. It works well. It clogs occasionally but not really a problem. I usually just hit my airbox with my hand or knee while riding if i feel it clogging. If you are gonna run Toby’s map at 2000 ft I would recommend good fuel.

Premium Features