• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Connecting two Batteries.

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
I have an enclosed 4 place trailer. The battery in it is an Interstate deep cycle .I want to add another battery to it. I forgot if you take the positive from one battery to the negative terminal. to the other or is it positive to positive.I have a converter for shore power and when hooked up to the truck it charges the batteries. Plus I have a new break away battery, but don't know it it will charge from just the truck or also the shore power.
Thanks.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I have an enclosed 4 place trailer. The battery in it is an Interstate deep cycle .I want to add another battery to it. I forgot if you take the positive from one battery to the negative terminal. to the other or is it positive to positive.I have a converter for shore power and when hooked up to the truck it charges the batteries. Plus I have a new break away battery, but don't know it it will charge from just the truck or also the shore power.
Thanks.

12V is pos to pos, neg to neg.

6v is pos to neg, neg to pos.

if you hook them up they will balance each other and that could be bad if you end up with a bad cell in your current battery it could prematurely ruin your new battery. there is a way to wire in a device to prevent this but i cannot recall what it is ... not an electrical guy

T

TheJett29

Dec 6, 2007
Western ND
If you just hook neg to pos on one battery terminal on each the result would be 24 volt output.

Neg-neg pos-pos is still 12 volts just more of amp hours (ah)

cokecrazed007

Lifetime Membership
Sep 11, 2011
Grande Prairie, AB
Load test each battery first, if they pass you can hook them together. Wire them positive to positive, and negative to negative. This will give you more amps and 12 volts, this called parallel.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Load test each battery first, if they pass you can hook them together. Wire them positive to positive, and negative to negative. This will give you more amps and 12 volts, this called parallel.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

What he said...........
When the positive terminals of all cells are connected together and similarly the negative terminals of these cells are connected together in a battery, then the cells are said to be connected in parallel. These combinations are also referred as Parallel Batteries. If the emf (electromotive force/voltage) of each cell is identical then the emf of the battery combined by numbers of cells connected in parallel, is equal to the emf of each cell.
The current (amps) delivered by the battery is sum of currents delivered by individual cells.
If you do the opposite and connect them in series you may have to call your insurance agent after you call the fire department. :mmph:

Premium Features