• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BMP stage 2 clutch review and need a little help

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Installed my BMP torsional clutch kit. Came with a red BMP spring for the primary, yellow torsion spring for the sec, dalton 76.5-84 adjustable weights, and TEAM helix.

First, I filled out the form with "M1100T, over 6000 ft, EZ Jacker, Speedwerx can" The paper work that came with it was for a Procross 1100T with a Turbo Dynamics reflash, riding below 6000 ft. WTF? Torsional helix was on the second hole.

Next, the helix was severly pitted (see pics). I called BMP and spoke with Mike. He said all the TEAM helix's are pitted like that. Hmmmm......sounds like BS to me. He also said the setup was correct for my sled. I told him I would install it, but if it sucked ***, I expected him to take it back.

Then, no instructions. WTF? Finally found them on BMP's site.

Drilled out the secondary, installed the spring, put in my wieghts and set them at 83 grams.

Getting the secondary back together sucked, but I finally got it. Set deflections and went out. Pulled like a SOB. Lifted the front end 4 inches off the ground in powder and kept it there.

Went out today to Indian Creek and was riding most of the day around 9000-10000ft. Went up against a modified M8, 2012 Pro, and some other sleds. On climbs, they would get a little over half way and have to turn out, I went all the way to the top and turned out because I ran out of hill. It simply owned the mountain. Even had an audience at one time just watching me scream up chutes and bowls. It was running around 7900 RPMS.

Anyway, the kit is loud and cranky. It is not smooth and it grinds down low in the RPM's. Coming down hill and hitting the gas, it engages very hard. In the low RPM's when one tracking in, or after coming down a hill, it sounds like it is grinding. Soemtimes it also didn't release until I was stopped. Anyone have any idea how to cure the low RPM characteristics of it?

Overall, not worth the $$$$ until I can get it right. Clutch temps were cooler than stock though. Even if I do get it right, lack of support, no instructions and pitted helix would make me think twice about recommending this product.

IMGP3108.jpg IMGP3110.jpg IMGP3111.jpg IMGP3113.jpg

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Did you send them a picture of the helix, I would call that more than just pits. The instructions sheets are very easy to access, don't know what your issue was. I know a few of the guys over there but I don't know who Mike is. They do seem to have trouble handling tec support over the phone and need to do a better job. The kit cost no more than buying the pieces individually and saves you from buying extra helix and spring combx to test yourself. At least some of the noise would be from the reverse cogs and some could be from belt chatter with the torsional setup. Maybe a little different defection or try another hole tighter with the spring would help.

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Did you send them a picture of the helix, I would call that more than just pits. The instructions sheets are very easy to access, don't know what your issue was. I know a few of the guys over there but I don't know who Mike is. They do seem to have trouble handling tec support over the phone and need to do a better job. The kit cost no more than buying the pieces individually and saves you from buying extra helix and spring combx to test yourself. At least some of the noise would be from the reverse cogs and some could be from belt chatter with the torsional setup. Maybe a little different defection or try another hole tighter with the spring would help.

I opened the kit and scratched my head trying to figure out how to install it. Mainly it was where to drill the hole in the secondary for the torsion spring. A copy of the instructions in the kit or a sheet saying to download them online would have been helpful.

My deflection was ok when I left to ride, but I think it tightened up some once I got some miles and hard pulls on it. I will get it in the shop and check everything out.

I have nothing against BMP, I have used plenty of thier parts in the past. I just think this kit was not up to par with what I have experienced in the past. BMP guys are flatlanders and maybe they just don't have enough mountain feedback on thier setups yet for the PC.

Depsite what they said, that helix is not acceptable. I am going to contact TEAM and see what is up this week.

If I can get the grinding out and the hard engagements softer, I might change my mind on the kit. It does pull expceptionally well. The lower temps might be because I installed a vent kit when I installed the clutch kit.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Judging by the pics, Team never should have let that one out the door. The way it pulls it sounds like Bikeman did a good job of matching helix angle and springs, thats why a guy buys a kit. I too like paper instructions but seldom see them anymore. Harsh engagement is a combination of the reverse cags and the stiff primary spring. I run into that with my M8. A spring that gives me nice engagement gives me a bog taking off because these engines load up at an idle.

Premium Features