• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any animal vets on here?????

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I have a 5 year old golden retriever that has appointment Thursday to be spaid. The vet has told me 3 times now that I should be aware of anestisia risk of her not making it... I want to know how much risk this really is??? Is this really a big risk or is it just a disclaimer in a case of 1 in a 1000 etc..

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
We had our girl spayed after five (6 or 7) and she did not have any probs with the drugs. Actually, our vet encouraged us because of other issues (cancer, etc) to get her spayed.

If you do not hear from a vet on SW, get a second opinion from a local vet. I frequently do . . .

And give your little girl lots of love. :) Dogs are the best!!!

U
Dec 2, 2007
Easy question, but not easy answer. Anytime an animal is put under anesthesia, no matter the age, there is a risk. Does she have any pre-existing conditions with liver, kidneys, obesity? The spay can be much more difficult with age over 2 years in a large breed dog such as this. Many things are possible whenever any animal or person goes under anesthesia. Your vet is making you aware of this. At your dog's age it would be advisable to do some blood work prior to surgery to rule out any liver or kidney problems. If you think the warning is due to lack of confidence then seek care elsewhere, otherwise take the warnings as just that. I have been a vet for 21 years, anything can and does happen, we can only do our best to avoid it. Complications are rare indeed, but some people are unaware risks exist. Keep in mind this is done under general anesthesia (preferrably gas) and is major abdominal surgery. Having your dog spayed is a good thing at any age, but much preferred to be done under 1 year of age. Hope this helps.

Premium Features