• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some help w\rear suspesion

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Need some help with rear track\suspesion

I have a Timbersled suspension, 162-8 Ice Age rails, 162" CE and stock drivers. Something isn't right because the track is too tight to get the rear axle and idler wheels installed. Everything is mounted per directions. I've let the pressure out of the Floats. I left a lever between the rear part of the rails and track just thinking it was just cold and needed to stretch the track out a little.

Any ideas, this is going on three days an damn frustrating.

Timberskid.jpg Timberskid (1).jpg Timberskid (2).jpg

Last edited:
M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
If those are 8" rear wheels, chances are it won't fit. You may need to run smaller idlers on the upper rear. Don't go too small though, or the track will rub on the upper rear shock.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Alan said to use the stock uppers because he machines the inserts specifically for them. I thought about using the stock 6.7"s lower rears for the rear axle but it looks like the track will snag on the rails.

Last edited:
B
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian Idaho
I had the exact same problem, I called allen and he also suggested putting smaller wheels up top, I swapped them with 2 extra idler wheels and it works great it is close to the top of the shock but no rub yet, I saw on ulmers web site a longer shock bolt and two bearings to stop rubbing on one of the short track yammis, which looks like it may work with this set up as well,I may try it if i start to notice any rubbing on the top of my shock. Ps when you get it together you will be happy. I love my mtn. tamer.:)

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I got the smaller uppers on and that gave me some more room but its still way too tight to get the axle and 8" idlers on the rear.

W

woodies

really hope your not trying to put them in on a track stand like the pictures show!let all the air out of your shocks. with it on a winch or an adjustable track jack slowly lower it and it should go!

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Here's another pic. No air in either Float and I have a pry bar in the other side at the end of the rail pulling the track out. It was about a 1/2" looser with the suspension lifted a little (I've went up and down inch by inch to find the least tension). I'm still about 1.5" too tight. Re-checked the track number it's camo 9943 which is 162".

Timberskid3.jpg

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Woodies, here are the pics. The drive shaft is seated in place and all the factory hardware is right. The track isn't hund up on the drivers or the extros. The last pic shows the track tensioned looking back with the suspension completely collapsed. I'm out of ideas.

Timberskid3 003.jpg Timberskid3 005.jpg Timberskid3 001.jpg Timberskid3 004.jpg

W

woodies

measure from the center of the bottom front bolt to the front of the track axle hole opening. i have the same setup and is 41 inches and the back is 11.25.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
From the axle opening its:
front shock bolt- 47" ,
front arm bolt 42.5" ,
rear arm bolt 13"

I bought this set up from Noob. Gonna give him a call in the morning. He's had this skid on his Nytro so not sure what's going on.

W

woodies

whoa something wrong there.mine installed and tightened is about 1/2 way to the back in the axle window!
100_1631.jpg
but i do have the new rails so that may be the difference!

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
What's your number mike. I'll give ya a call. I'll find the pics of my sled so you can see how it fit in mine. I had billet 8" wheels in this setup with a fair bit of adjustment for track tension. I didn't change the upper wheels either.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Loosing valuable riding time because of this. The guy I bought this from on this forum just emailed and said it worked fine for him. There's a picture of it on his sled and its way too tight to ride with the stock 6.7" rears. Any body have any ideas.

Last edited:
M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Try intalling the axle in the skid first (out on the bench). Then slide the skid in, bolt up the front mount, then lower the rear into place.

:confused: I dunno dood, looks like the rails are just too long

Here are measurements on mine:

NY32.jpg

Last edited:
M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
After further review of this, here are some idea's...

First, from your measurements, you actually have about 1/2" more space than I do. I am running 7" wheels on the rear axle AND upper idler.

So if you run 7" upper, and 8" rear axle you should be at exactly the same spacing as I am.

Try what I said above - assemble skid completely, attach front first, lower rear of sled slowly, whilst raising the rear arm slowly, until they meet where they need to be.

Also, check out the pic below, the transfer should compress completely. If you have a valve core tool, remove the valve cores from the shocks. It is nearly impossible to geat all of the air out of them just pressing on the core.

Timberskid3.jpg

Last edited:

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I'm now using the small stock lowers for the uppers. I've got three of four wheels on and I'm 1/2" from getting the axle through the the other rail with a lot of leverage. I just hope this CE relaxes a bunch because there's no way the suspension will articulate with this much track tension.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
here are the pics of the exact skid that I sold to Mike pictured on my nytro. after sending you an email so that I can help you out, and then have you reply saying that I sold you crap and am a liar cuz these rails don't fit is kind of a pisser Mike. I'm better then that and am willing to help you. I know they fit, there are 2 pictures that prove it.

Are you trying to install the rear axle after it is mounted into the tunnel?? if so, take the skid out of the tunnel, mount your rear axle. after you have done this(flip your sled on it's side, it's easier to install the skid this way) with your rear axle loose, fit in the track and do the front bolts up first. after you have done this, the rear bolts are going to be a bit of a pain to get in, you'll have to do some prodding and have a buddy to help you make it easier. after you get the rear bolts in you can then adjust the tension on teh track. I have billet 8" wheels that I purchased from Oregon Trail Sports pictured here. The rails were purchased from ice age and were custom cut for a yammi/timbersled setup and to run 8" wheels. what track are you running??

The other question I have Mike is you purchased this skid over 2 months ago, and are just now installing it and losing valuable riding time because of me because you can't get it to fit?? I know your frustrated, but give me a chance to help before you call me a liar and a cheat for something that isnt' even close to being true buddy. You don't believe me that the rails are right, call up ice age and ask them for my account and what rails were purchased from them. after you do that, call up team 2 and ask him what timber sled ski I purchased from him. I'll even try and dig up the snowester I bought my 162" maverick track from to show you this is the setup I had, and i sold to you.

Can you try (if you haven't already) installing it the way I mentioned above and let me know if it works or not? I have never screwed or never will screw anybody when selling something on these forums.

DSCF0255.jpg DSCF0256.jpg

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Try installing the axle in the skid first (out on the bench). Then slide the skid in, bolt up the front mount, then lower the rear into place.

Try what I said above - assemble skid completely, attach front first, lower rear of sled slowly, whilst raising the rear arm slowly, until they meet where they need to be.

Are you trying to install the rear axle after it is mounted into the tunnel?? if so, take the skid out of the tunnel, mount your rear axle. after you have done this with your rear axle loose, fit in the track and do the front bolts up first. after you have done this, the rear bolts are going to be a bit of a pain to get in, you'll have to do some prodding and have a buddy to help you make it easier.

Hmmm.... seems to be there is a common theme occuring here :rolleyes:

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hmmm.... seems to be there is a common theme occuring here :rolleyes:

sorry motopsych-o, didn't read your replies. I was a little hot from being called a liar and selling crap and trying to help Mike out. Unless he's got a shorter track, (which I think he's got a 162) there ain't no way this skid is not going to fit. it worked perfectly fine in my nytro.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
It's cool dood, I know yer not a crook. Everybody is trying to help the fella out. It should work fine if the info he posted is correct, and he trys the suggestions we have given him...

Premium Features