• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone replace torx/star on hood with alternative fasteners?

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Already striped one of mine and looking for a quicker longer lasting alternative to the stock fasteners.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Let the brainpower & deep thinkers on here unite!
There has got to be an easier way to remove & fasten the hood.
I find that I have to pull the hood after every ride; which is weekly right now.
Just doesn't seem okay to assume everything is fine under there; especially coolant level, etc.
This is what I miss about my M1K.

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
i remove my hood every ride, just to pore the water out of it. and wipe clean the intake.

if a guy put two snowboard straps on the front and a couple ratchet type on the front nosecone sides, quick release/designed to take some force.. but where could you put them where you wouldnt beat them up. lol..

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
I like the little turn pin thing at the bottom of where the side panels connect, like beside the chaincase when the side panel is off, I just don't know if they'd be strong enough.

If there was a way to put the pull pin type assembly that holds the side panels on and implement them into holding the hood on, that might work well too, but I don't think you could get a design like that to fit or work.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
Doesn't yamaha use those 1/4 turn fasteners? Probable able to get them from a dealer. Cost might be high tho.

jr_ddix

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Seen on here somewhere where a guy did use the 1/4 turn fasteners to hold it on but I think he also used rubber hood straps at the nose cone to help hold the air box against the sled for reinforcement

Premium Features