• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon Help Please!

A

AKLankford

Oct 13, 2009
Wasilla, AK
Hi everyone. Ok so my mom and some of my friend's moms were talking and said that they weren't going to let us ride without beacons. I need some help with choosing the right one:confused:...
- Are they all compatible with each other?
- Do you have to activate it to send a signal?
- Any specific one that is really popular or user friendly?

If anyone can answer any of those questions id really appriciate it. Thanks in advance

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The bca tracker beacons are without a doubt the most popular beacon for sledders. That doesnt mean they are the best. That question I could not answer. Just get one and make sure your buddies have them as well. Then all need to learn how to use them efficiently!

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Hi everyone. Ok so my mom and some of my friend's moms were talking and said that they weren't going to let us ride without beacons. I need some help with choosing the right one:confused:...
- Are they all compatible with each other?
- Do you have to activate it to send a signal?
- Any specific one that is really popular or user friendly?

If anyone can answer any of those questions id really appriciate it. Thanks in advance

- Yes, all beacons manufactured since the late 1990's are compatible with each other.
- You have to turn the beacon on at the beginning of the ride; this will activate the transmit signal. If someone gets buried, everyone needs to switch their beacon to "Search mode" to locate the buried beacon that is transmitting.
- The most popular beacon out there is the BCA Tracker. It is relatively inexpensive and very easy to use. Another great choice is the Pieps DSP.

PM me with any questions or for a quote on package deals.

Cade

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Just remember the truth: Beacons are for finding the buried and possibly the dead. Better question: When and where is the next avalanche awareness class? Or after too much death and misery (my experiance), just choose to ride where the Beast (the avalanche) does not abide. Thanks.

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
Just remember the truth: Beacons are for finding the buried and possibly the dead. Better question: When and where is the next avalanche awareness class? Or after too much death and misery (my experiance), just choose to ride where the Beast (the avalanche) does not abide. Thanks.

Speaking of which, do you know anything about classes being offered in the Anchorage area?
Wanted to find one for myself and friends to attend this season.

BTW I ride with a BCA Tracker too.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Speaking of which, do you know anything about classes being offered in the Anchorage area?
Wanted to find one for myself and friends to attend this season.

BTW I ride with a BCA Tracker too.

The Alaska Avalanche School has some planned for end of January. They got a grant and are putting these on for free, so they might already be filled up. I emailed them with a request to see if they had any room because my fiance, friend and myself would all like to participate.

http://alaskaavalanche.com/Site/RFP_Grants.html

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
AK,

+1 for mom's... Good on them.

Just a quick side note, the beacon is but one piece of the equation. Without a probe to definitively locate a victim and then a shovel to dig your way to them, the beacon is just that, a beacon to find another beacon.

Also, +1 on the education, there is a learning curve to using the beacon that you probably will not develop in the classroom. Get out in a open location and get some hands on experience soonest. It is actually fun practicing.

Good luck and safe riding.

Chaos

+1 for the Tracker...

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
It is good to see people coming forward and asking about info on transceivers. It is utterly most important to see interest and the responses from others/

Take an avy course, it will be the best mod/.;)

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
+1 for the tracker

BUT education is more important then any gadget. most avy deaths are from trauma. no gadget in the world can tell you when an avy is going to happen only a prepared mind can help you avoid trouble

Actually only 1/3 die from Trauma......the other 2/3's die from suffocation.

Yes, education is the most important thing of all......use your brain/knowledge to try to keep you out of situations where there could be trouble. Having the proper gear along with training, is the back-up (Plan B for when the worst does happen).

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
There are lots of good beacons out there. Not sure I would say any of them are bad. They all have there different qualities. It will come down to you actually going and looking at the many different beacons and deciding on which one you want to use. Of course the other big thing is taking an AVY course. Every one has an opinion as to which is the best or easiest to use. But what it comes down to, is which one you feel does what you want to be able to do. Lots of good tips and info in this thread. Thanks to all who have responded. Just remember: SAFETY.

Premium Features