• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode the Alpha

F

flex2win

Oct 11, 2009
Got a chance to ride the Alpha Cat yesterday out here in Togwotee. Dave brought one up for us to try out.

Here's a few things you need to know:

I'm currently on a 14 M8.
Yes, I've been on the new Ascender platform.
No, I'm not affiliated with Arctic Cat and was not paid to give any sort of interview, I volunteered it.
My goal is to help answer any of the questions out there about this sled, I'm not here to sell you an Alpha.

With that in mind, I rode this rig down the trail about 8 miles. Excellent manners, pretty damn plush going down the CD trail. I had reservations about the monorail and trail handling, I no longer do. It feels very planted, I shook it side to side immediately upon take off and felt very safe. It corners very well, minimal lift on inside ski, it is there, but nothing excessive. 208 rode this sled as well, and I'm sure he'll offer his opinion as well, he stated it felt better than his 2018 Mountain Cat.

We rode the 165 skid, and it is no joke when it comes to climbing. I took it pretty easy rolling up to a nice open pull, and then got into it. There is plenty of juice and hookup there. Front end carried the skis up nicely. I was never worried about not having enough power or traction.

In the meadows, this thing cuts cookies on a dime. The Cat videos are legit with them whipping it around. I was laughing the whole time at just how easy this sled lays over. Minimal effort, and responds nicely to throttle input. I was blown away, I feared over riding it, but it didn't happen. You could rip as many carves as you wanted to. Fun factor was 10/10.

Durability issues should be put to bed after watching DMC air it out off a 100' booter 5x. The monorail holds up nicely, doesn't carry a ton of snow like previous Ascender models either.

Reports of sidehilling were very positive. Several guys with Mtn Cats reported very positive results on it. Felt very safe, holds a true line, older tracks offer no danger either. Hell, even the Polaris guy said he loved riding this sled:face-icon-small-hap

I really enjoyed riding this rig, my situation is different than some of the guys I ride with, as their iron is newer than mine. But even for someone on a '16 and on the fence about this sled, it might be worth the look into the Alpha.

Hopefully I've answered some questions that are out there about this rig.

Here's a link to the interview:

https://www.facebook.com/DavidMcClu...wW6CubuASKYadtrkVvY7h9XWa9L__f_nBoGuE&fref=nf

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I think the big question everyone has is around it's ability to hold very aggressive sidehills. Does it wash-out easily? How does it compare to an Axys sidehilling? Etc. The ability of that track to flex has many wondering, myself included, if it will wash-out and require a ton of countersteering during aggressive sidehills...especially in more set-up conditions.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Tog got pounded with snow. I doubt washout could even be noticed with how deep it is out there

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
I know its not a trail sled but just curious if you could elaborate on how it handled the tails. Was it on par with the Mountain Cat? Going around corners, did it feel like it would fall over? Is it serviceable on trail? I have a decent amount of trail to get where I need to go but really like the idea of how playful everyone says it is off trail.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I know its not a trail sled but just curious if you could elaborate on how it handled the tails. Was it on par with the Mountain Cat? Going around corners, did it feel like it would fall over? Is it serviceable on trail? I have a decent amount of trail to get where I need to go but really like the idea of how playful everyone says it is off trail.
He wrote a paragraph about trail manners.
Starts after the 7th sentence.

Alpha ......

S

sledhed21

Dec 19, 2008
Alpha ride

I’m trying to line up Demo ride in the next couple weeks
If I get to ride it I will add my notes to this
thread?

Z

Zbroz Racing

Dec 19, 2007
Utah
www.zbrozracing.com
2019 Alpha

I was very impressed with the new track and skid. It worked better than I really exspected. Rode it all day and swapped back and forth to my 18 MC and while it was still fun I wanted to be on the alpha way more.

Track is much improved and the 18 is one of the best IMO so far. The skid held the hill well and was very playful. I have always been a 153” track lover but honestly I will buy a 165 now it’s that good at making the sled feel shorter and manuverable and on a hill it kicks serious butt.

The new driver size and rear bogie wheels free up HP the lead engineer I was invited by said 5hp according to a dyno. It felt that way for sure.

New controls are much needed and very nice. We own a new 850 and a few Axys models as well and I think everyone will be playing catch up to the 800cc cat. It really is that good. It’s taken awhile but it’s a real pack leader now.

Will post some video soon from the ride on Zbroz instagram also. Super fun day with Shae, josh and Andy. Oh and on old cat engineer Jason. Can’t wait to convert my 18 to the new rail and buy a 165” or two. :)

Z

Zbroz Racing

Dec 19, 2007
Utah
www.zbrozracing.com
More

I forgot to add it’s fun on the trails but different with the flex. We had some old tracks to cross in some steep steep side hills and it obsorbed the hard under snow super well.

We had good snow but from what I could tell on wind blown and hard under snow sunny spots is it does not wash out in fact might actually be better in spring snow.

Do not confuse it with a T motion it is nothing like that. A whole new level and no ill effects from my one day on it so far.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I rode it too!!

I also got an awesome opportunity to ride the 2019 Alpha Cat with flex2win in togwotee. It's not a gimmick, it's the real deal. I spent seat time back country riding, carving, climbing, and sidehilling. It handles very well and predictable, it rolls up on edge easily, it climbs like crazy and takes off and gets up on plane very quickly. It even handles just as good as my 18 mountain cat on the trails! No crazy inside ski lift or tippy handling whatsoever!! The single beam is cool because it doesn't hold a bunch of snow. Dave launched those big jump with it and it didn't phase it one bit. I honestly cannot see any downfall at this point and I'm pretty good at pointing out flaws:face-icon-small-hap

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010

It's good to go on trails too. It's just as stable as my 18mc.

Premium Features