• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007-2009 M8 Cans

D
Feb 19, 2016
Salt Lake City
I have an '08 M8 and want to replace the "suitcase" can to save some weight. I'm purely looking at making the sled lighter, but also don't want it to sound "pingy," especially at idle. I like a lower, deeper sound and quiet is fine by me, which is why I'm not looking into "powder" style cans.

So it looks like there's seven or so manufacturers out there, all priced about the same. Out of those, the lightest cans are:

Jaws: 11 lb savings
MBRP: 9/10 lb savings (trail/race versions)
Bikeman (BMP) Full Velocity: 8 lb savings
HPS: 7.5 lb savings
Skinz Ultra Q: 7.25 lb savings

My question is...how light can I go without sacrificing the sound of the sled and turning it into a pingy rattle can? YouTube videos help a little, but microphones on cameras can lie.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I've seen a couple of these threads, so I'll toss out a little fact to cancel out the advertising hype... I just re-weighed it. The stock "suitcase" muffler on my '09 M8 weighs 13lbs.

That says to me that the numbers many of the mfg's quote as weight savings are straight out lies, or the cans are nowhere NEAR as quiet as the stock muffler. How in the world do you make a quiet can that weighs 2 lb?? A chunk of straight pipe would weigh that much, and it sure wouldn't be quiet! It's possible that some of those weight savings numbers are for the whole SYSTEM, rather than just the can, but still, I'm not buying it anymore.

I did buy it once though... I put a gently used SLP can on my sled several years ago because the price was right, and it was supposed to be quiet and 4.5lbs lighter than the stock muffler. I weighed it at 9lbs, so it was 4lbs lighter than the muffler I took off.

It's definitely louder at idle, and all rpm's for that matter, and has a notable snarl/ring as you cross about 7000rpm under load. It's about as loud as I can stand, and I'll probably ditch it in favor of the stock muffler next time the sled is in the garage, since the ceramic coating is really starting to look rusty.

The other thing to consider, is that the weight of the stock muffler is actually balancing out the weight of your clutches some... When I switched to the lighter can, I didn't notice the right side being lighter, instead, it made the left side feel heavier if anything. Not much I can do about that. :(

My $.02: Use the can money to buy a gym membership and eat healthier for 2 months and lose double or triple the weight savings off your body. If you're already pretty athletic, then take your wife/girl friend out to a nice dinner a few times. Or once each. :) The money will be better spent.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
D
Feb 19, 2016
Salt Lake City
I agree, it seems kind of gimmicky to me, especially the horsepower boost claims. I'm an athletic guy, so I'll skip the gym membership, but $300 is a lot of beer missed out on.

It seems like on this 2007-2009 M8 the weight savings from an aftermarket can is a lot lower than many other sleds. Guess Arctic Cat made a lighter can already for the chassis run.

I will say after having ridden the sled yesterday, it is pretty quiet, and feels light when railing turns in powder. Making things lighter sounds good and all, but when you're talking about a 456lb sled and you spend $300 for a can that saves 9lb, you've paid 10% of the sled's value to upgrade a part that isn't broken yet and only affected the weight by less than 2%. Yay.

I think I'll invest the savings into building out a really nice ski/snowboard carry rack, what I primarily will be using the sled for anyway. And that ice cold beer.

Premium Features