• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI INFO ON THE 2012 PRO RMK BOONDOCKERS TURBO KITS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Last week I contacted all the turbo companies for details... I'll be posting that up here as I get more info (still waiting on emails from some)

The Turbo section has become this bash fest in the past season... I really don't want to see this happen this season.

Please... lets keep this thread on topic. This is not a place to bash on their products... nor talk about other competitors aftermarket offerings.. this is a "FYI" thread on this particular product.

If you want to speak about the virtues or have criticisms of this or of another mfg, please do so in another thread.

I will ask the same of the other brand FYI's I put up.
Thanks in advance
===========================================================

I spoke with Junior Young of Boondockers turbos last week about the new PRO RMK offerings and upgrades for the 2011 kits.

According to Junior the 2012 kits will be offered in both intercooled and non intercooled versions.

The intercooler will be the Air/Air type of construction and feature a fan assembly.

The airbox portion, which is common to both the intercooled and non intercooled versions is what BD is calling the "Torque builder" airbox that they have refined with testing since Feb.. right thru August on the snow. This system will feature tubular inlets with a unique collet like locking collar that will attach to the throttle bodies quickly and easily without any need to drill/tap. Junior described it as snapping down and locking for quick installs and service of other components.

This billet piece will also house the 2 auxiliary injectors that will fire directly at the throttle bodies. The 2 aux injectors as compared to last seasons single aux injectors are used because of the new design of the airbox that would not allow for a single injector to be used.

A cold air intake and snorkel option will be available if the customer feels the need.

The same 3D controller will be used as last season with refined mapping.

For turbos... Garret Ball Bearing turbos with integral wastegates will be standard again this year... Upgrades to TiAl turbos with external waste gates will be available on a special order basis at additional charge.

The exhaust will remain with the in-tunnel exit and will be fitted standard with a muffler.

A new plug and play timing module is featured in the 2012 kits that will progressively retard the timing as RPM (and boost) increase. BD claims that this will greatly reduce detonation issues. This will be available separately for purchase by anyone.

For you 2011 Boondocker kit owners... Boondockers has a deal for you...The full upgrade kit for your 2011 setup with Intercooler is being offered to last years loyal customers as at a big discount. $499 for the intercooler/airbox, extra injector to supplement the 3rd injector you already have, charge tube, Wiring harness and all hardware needed to install. This upgrade kit with intercooler will cost much more at full retail.

BD told me that they had been able to get some serious testing time on the complete 2012 system with Jared Sessions, racers Jeremy Osler & Tyson Thomas and performance partners like Erik Vohk since this past March right up through August.

The kits will be offered in Pump Gas intercooled and non intercooled, and full higher boost race gas kits.

The price on the "fully loaded" BD Pump gas turbo kit with all items needed for installation will be $5818.00 with intercooler clutching and all related hardware for installation.

Shipping will begin in Mid - end of October on the kits.

I was told that Boondockers will be offering an early season sale and having promotions/contests throughout the season like ...details to be released soon.

That is all I've heard for now... I hope to get Junior or Jared to chime in here if you have any questions.

Last edited:
H
Dec 12, 2009
If there were performance gains I could see charging their customers for an upgrade, but it appears that this upgrade was designed to resolve issues that the users I talked with had experienced. I would be interested to hear from someone at boondockers to see whats going on behind the scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Thanks for the info MH. After spending some time on VOHKs sled this spring, I am very excited for my own. I didn't get to ride it with the intercooler, but I know Erik was excited with the intercooler setup. The BD pro spools up so quickly and is a blast to ride.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is a peak at the airbox .
picture.php

Last edited:
I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Very cool air box. Rubber? Them running two auxiliary injectors before the throttle bodies will definitely help with reed life.

Last edited:

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Airbox? or Charge Tube?

Box - A container typically constructed with four sides perpendicular to the base and often having a lid or cover.

Looks like even more volume then last year.....hmmmm.....good luck!!!!

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Airbox? or Charge Tube?

Box - A container typically constructed with four sides perpendicular to the base and often having a lid or cover.

Looks like even less volume then last year.....hmmmm.....good luck!!!!

Last years airbox design was small, and I believe it was because of the need for the 3rd injector to blend with the compressed air. Of course this was thrown out the window when they changed us over to the 3d mapping.
From what I've been told the new airbox design with the intercooler will be 70* charge temps and 20% more power.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Colder air than last year would be great. I read about some pretty high charge temps that people had last year.

1 thing about the charge temp reading off the boondocker box. I found that the box immediatly defaults to (I think it was 255*) whatever it was it was high. You have to start the sled, and reset the charge temp before you ride, and it will record the highest temp during that engine run cycle. If you shut the sled off and re-start it would again show the default 255* temp. Once I installed a cold air intake, and figured out how to get the 3rd injector to work at 6# of boost, the charge temps were NEVER above the 130*s.
Boondockers looks to have made some pretty nice upgrades for their pro kit, I'm looking forward to running it.

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
I bet the cold air intake really helped the charge temps. Sucking for under the hood you would have way hotter air.

Yea I think we'll see a lot of improvements to the Pro Kits this year. It will be really nice to see how they all run.

S

Shawn Baker

Sep 7, 2008
track and rale extension

Does anyone know if the Artic Cat finger track is available in 174" or 3" /174 to use on the Pro 800? Also were can I get rail extensions to fit the Pro 800 to make this track change?

S

savedbygrace

Mar 21, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
www.boondockers.com
If there were performance gains I could see charging their customers for an upgrade, but it appears that this upgrade was designed to resolve issues that the users I talked with had experienced. I would be interested to hear from someone at boondockers to see whats going on behind the scenes.

Hi guys,
We’re on the road, coming back from Haydays. Only 15-16 hours left to go!:becky: We had a great show, thank you everyone who stopped to visit us. Anyway, just wanted to chime in and answer some questions before we hit the interstate this morning.

Just in case some of you guys don’t know who I am, my name is Junior (Rocky Jr.). I am over manufacturing and design at Boondocker, our family business.

Yes the “intercooler upgrade” would be a performance upgrade, and is being offered to 2011 Boondocker pump gas Polaris Pro turbo customers at near our cost. The new Torque Builder™ non intercooled air box is also a performance upgrade to last year’s kit, comes standard in this year’s kit, and will be offered to last year’s Boondocker customer for $199, which is again near our cost. Boondocker customers were told last year, that when an intercooler upgrade was available, their current 2011 Boondocker air box could be used as some sort of trade-in on the new intercooler. That is why we are offering these upgrades at a significantly reduced price.

P.S. I also want to address the tone in the quoted post, and make very clear to everyone reading. That if there is any Boondocker customer that is in need of assistance with their Boondocker product, has any concerns about the service they have received, or quality of their Boondocker product, please contact me directly, and I will do whatever it take to make sure you are taken care of.

You can contact me (Junior) directly @ 208-542-4411, junior@boondockers.com, or PM savedbygrace. I will be back in the office on September 14th, so email would be the best until then.

I hope and pray that everyone has an awesome snow season, and I truly me everyone.

Thanks,
Junior

S

savedbygrace

Mar 21, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
www.boondockers.com
Airbox? or Charge Tube?

Looks like even less volume then last year.....hmmmm.....good luck!!!!

Ha…. No luck involved.

We have several months of real snow time, and thousands of miles testing side by side, every combination, and configuration we could conjure up. With the new Torque Builder™ air boxes you will see an increase in torque at low RPMs, giving you added throttle response, without sacrificing high RPM performance. The new Boondocker intercoolers are also engineered with this same torque building technology. We test this stuff in the mountains surrounding south east Idaho western Wyoming, and southern Montana (our own backyard). Not to mention the hundreds of hours in computer design, and flow analysis. Our goal at Boondocker is to continually push the design, and quality of our products to new heights. Boondocker products continue to take shape, as we lead the industry in turbo performance, and electronic innovation. Every Boondocker product is thoroughly tested, and ultimately has to be approved by our team of fulltime real mountain riders, every one of these guys loves what they do, and are not only devoted to snowmobiling, but also passionate about the sport.

Thanks,
Junior

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Cool, can't wait to see them run on the snow.

Customer Service is a very important part of selling turbo kits in this industry. I think a lot of people over look the service and are more focused on price.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Boondockers called me today $499 with trade in of airbox/injector and charge tube.
They want anybody who is going to take advantage of this to get their parts shipped into them, and the offer is going to end mid oct.

Premium Features