• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 oil Pump sticking

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
I noticed my new m8 is sucking down oil like there is no tomarrow. I took the belly pan off and was gonna adjust the rod. I then noticed that the pump was half open and the throttle was closed. I removed the rod and noticed that the oil pump is sticking it does not return to the stop. I moved the pump several times and could feel a binding within the pump anybody have any ideas on why.:confused:

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
warranty sucks i dont trust to many people to work on my sled drive two hours leave it drive two hours home drive two more hours pick it up drive home 8 hours of driving still probibly wont be fixed they will just create more problems. if you take it to any dealer then where you bought it they put you to last priority. sounds like 8 hours of driving for nothing.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i worked out a deal with my dealer years ago, they send me the parts i do the work. if you know what your doing this is the only way to go. my life depends on my sled being in top working order, don't think anyone else is as concered about it being properly maintained as i do. thats why i wouldn't let anyone else touch my sled, have had too many problems with the dealer trying to fix things...

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
i noticed my '08 m8 does the same thing once in a while. the two arms dont stay together like they should. its only done this a few times. a few flicks of the throttle and it hasnt done this. mine must have a wee bit of binding too.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Mine smokes like a biatch. Per 1 tank of fuel it went through about 2/3 of a tank of oil. Thats 20:1:eek: A tad rich I would say. Must have a similar issue.

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
its easy to see if it is sticking just shine a light down between the throttle boddies and you can see if the two tabs are seperated. if you guys figure out the dealer fix let me know

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
make it premix !!! ez to do and u mix what u want ! my m7 runs 40:1 every time !!! just an idea !
mike:D

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I just paid 40.00 per gallon of APV today , that stuff is liquid gold .
I am pre mixing at 40:1 .

There is a Mod 800 in the shop , its fuel cap says. 100 Octane only , pre mix 32:1

I still mix mine 40:1

That is alot of money if the pump sticks.

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
the bog and the pump sticking go hand in hand thats the best way to know when it is stuck idle goes rough like it is way to rich than when you take off she bogs and stumbles up to about 5000rpms seems to stick more when she is colder outside

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
200 miles on my 09 m8 before todays ride, and i didnt have enough oil left in my gallon to fill the rezi up lol. A gallon every 200 miles, a belt or two every ride if i stress about it pulling cords... gonna be an expensive season! Still love er though!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Moxee WA
Rode my sled to burn through the first tank premix, oil pump was sticking, rode 64 miles burned 8 gal gas and 32 ounces of oil. Thats about 32:1, I noticed that my pump wasnt sticking all the time, it would load up when going slow and bog a little then take off nicely. Pump was wasnt stuck when I popped the hood when I got home, however as soon as a blipped the throttle it stuck again.

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
update on the ordeal over the pump dealer is working with cat to find out why this is going on he checked the sleds in the shop and on the sales floor and there oil pumps are sticking also so it is definitly a common problem i will keep you posted when he gets back with me

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
My 08 M8 has had 2 warranty oil pumps for this prob. seems to be fixed now...My 09 M8 has a sticky oil pump too. new dealer tho. This dealer said most of the time just spray the pi$$ out of it with brake clean and give it a little oil and usually works. I did this with my 09 and last ride all was well. I'm not going to deem this fixed yet but seems like it might be in the right direction..I hope.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Pain in the *** to install ( the problem has been there since '07 for me), but a small piece of a ball point pen spring wound over the two arms, to keep them loosely connected, has cured the problem for me.
Noticeable reduction in oil consumtion and smoking when tree playing.

Geo

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
oil delete is sounding better all the time arctic cat says there is nothng wrong with the pump and that sticking is normal sounds like b/s to me i am thinkng of welding the two tabs together my m7 oil pump is solidly connected and it has run along time hmmm

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Well well well, mine appears to be sticking at 1/3 throttle as well. I could just see the tabs with a flashlight, but you can actually feel it in the flipper where it picks up the oil pump where it sticks. What a dose...

Premium Features