• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MM700 dies after running perfectly

B
Sep 20, 2017
I recently picked up an 01 mountain max 700 for cheap and took it out to the snow for the first time yesterday. It always ran great on the trailer and for the first ten minutes ran flawlessly.

After that initial ten minutes it would act like it is loading up, lose power, sputter and die. It was like I ran out of gas. If I wait a few minutes it would start right up and run great for a minute or two then do the same thing.

My thought is either fuel delivery or electrical but thought I would get some feedback before I tore it down.

Mechanically I am pretty sure the engine is fine. Compression checks and fluid inspections are good.

I have not pulled the carbs on this yet so I am leaning toward that but it sure runs great at first.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Fuel filters? Could be sucking up junk, and then when it dies the junk settles long enough for it to run again. There could be junk in the floatbowls too. A carb cleaning wouldn't hurt and you can check the reeds while you have them off too. With electrical I would think it would either run, run like crap, or just not run at all.

Premium Features