• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Synthetic oil back to mineral oil

R

rockhead00

Apr 10, 2011
Calgary, AB
yo yo...

Need some help, just did RK Tek 858 big bore and was reading installation instructions and it states not to use synthetic oil use mineral.

I have 3/4 of a tank of Amsoil interceptor synthetic in the sled so...

1. whats the best way to drain the oil without getting air bubbles in the oil system?

2. I thought once you run synthetic you can't go back?

3. If i just drain the oil tank as best i can and there is a little synthetic left in the tank and oil line etc and then add the mineral what will it do? will it be fine?

Any feedback and help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
You can swap from dino to syn and back as much as you want no problem. Does it say mineral from now on or just for break in

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i say drain the oil tank and then refill with mineral oil you'll have a little bit in the lines between the pump and engine but it'll be ok ( i think)
will you be running oil in the fuel for the break in tank ? that should be mineral for sure
i just wouldn't go mixing the two
good luck let us know how that 858 hits :face-icon-small-hap
pray for snow

Mar 10, 2013
Why not synthetic for break in???? I am just about to premix my first tank in the new sled and then manual calls for the Synthetic VES gold for the premix, 40 to 1 to be exact.

Mar 10, 2013
Because they want to sell you there oil.

Ok but if Synthetic was bad for break in wouldn't they tell you to use non synthetic Polaris blue or something? Not starting an argument just want to do the best for my engine on break in. It is about half full of oil from the dealer so I assume that's the VES Gold so one should take as much out as possible and run non synthetic? What brand of non synthetic do people run?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Also, OEM's MUST offer and specify for use oil that they have tested to meet EPA emission standards. I doubt that "blue" meets that. Heck... I'm still surprised that they are still able to specify premix in the first tanks.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Kelsey always recommends dino oil with his kits, all the time, not just breakin. Any siphon will work, e.g., I have a bulb siphon just for oil, and have used it many times to drain an oil tank when stripping a sled, pulling a motor, swapping oil or a tank. Get most out without getting air in the line, refill, and you're good.

R

rockhead00

Apr 10, 2011
Calgary, AB
Also, OEM's MUST offer and specify for use oil that they have tested to meet EPA emission standards. I doubt that "blue" meets that. Heck... I'm still surprised that they are still able to specify premix in the first tanks.

Hey Mountain Horse,

i always appreciate your feedback, do you have any experience with any of the questions in my initial post?

Cheers.

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
Most of the top 2 stroke engine builders will strongly recommend mineral based oil. Imo, that's best kinda oil for any 2 stroke engine

Premium Features