Upgrade to Premium
Avalanche and Survival Saftey, first aid and survival information

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Cassandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about airbags for women riders

I went on a riding clinic this past weekend and rented avi gear for the weekend, I found the pack really heavy the first day, I had a couple extra layers and extra gloves/water etc. in there, so the second day I took everything out that I could pack on my sled and it was better but still a bit heavy. It was a snowpulse highmark RAS bag I think.
I know I need to get my own and so I'm looking into my options- it seems a lot of the lighter packs are meant for heli-skiing and are not recommended for snowmobiling so I'm wondering what's the difference and if there's a reason I shouldn't buy something labelled for skiing? I'm thinking of buying something like this https://www.mammut.com/p/2610-01520-...ble-airbag-30/

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
deanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond reputedeanross has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested also. Especially the price. Doesn't seem Mammut's website is very good. when I click on Buy Now, it says it can't find the item?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Basic Member

Here it is on MEC https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-8...ble-Airbag-3-0I think it's available a few other places too, seems reasonably priced

Old 02-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Currently: Let it SNOW!!
Ryan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Here is a couple YouTube videos on Avalanche Air bag reviews, these guys do a good job of giving a quick run down of each bag including weight and volume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNe...IYeABGgqRe2qhQ

I have a Snow pulse Pro rider 15l and it is great and super light, but you don't have much room once you put a shovel and probe in it. When I upgrade, I think I am going to buy the Snow pulse Spire vest, it is the lightest in its category and has the best protection for trauma during an avalanche.

Good luck,

Ryan

Old 02-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Currently: waiting
jokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond reputejokerman has a reputation beyond repute

Bought the wife Float 22; not to big not to small can pack shovel,probe, extra goggles, gloves, BCA radio,few more items. weight is marginal once you get used to the weight on your back.My 2pennies

The Following User Says Thank You to jokerman For This Useful Post:
4funxs (03-14-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Basic Member

So I did a bit more searching and a bit more research and it seems the main difference is the deployment handle being mounted on the left shoulder not the right. Having never been in a real avalanche scenario and not keen on intentionally landing myself in one I'm wondering how much of an issue this really is? I get that the point is that if the handle is on the right then you still have access to the throttle but the other reality is that you tend to instinctively reach for things with your right hand. Does anyone have some experience or evidence that shows that right shoulder vs left is better for snowmobilers?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 PM
Currently: Falling off in the Powder
Basic Member
MountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Much like you, I have not been in an avalanche & don't wish to; So my response is only conjecture, but I cannot invision myself willing to let go of the throttle if I saw what was coming at me!! I hope that I would have presence of mind to use my left to pull the "OS" Handle!!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Basic Member
Brando18299 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
So I did a bit more searching and a bit more research and it seems the main difference is the deployment handle being mounted on the left shoulder not the right. Having never been in a real avalanche scenario and not keen on intentionally landing myself in one I'm wondering how much of an issue this really is? I get that the point is that if the handle is on the right then you still have access to the throttle but the other reality is that you tend to instinctively reach for things with your right hand. Does anyone have some experience or evidence that shows that right shoulder vs left is better for snowmobilers?
You can switch the trigger to whatever side you want on the BCA bags. I have a Float 25, packed with shovel, probe, survival, extra gloves, goggles etc. It can be a little heavy.. I personally like having all of that on my persons so I work with it. Will probably go with a 22 or vest next time I switch. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Basic Member
HenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant future

My wife uses a Pieps Tour Rider 24 with no complaints. Nice thing about it is she can practice with it at no costs and in the event it is used, it can be reset and used again in the field.

I use the larger Tour Pro 34 and love it. the reactive should strap system allows a ton of movement freedom while still being tight and holding the pack securely to your back.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:07 AM
Currently: Getting excited about this season.
Thanked 1,128 Times in 586 Posts
Matte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond repute

I’m pretty sure the difference between snowmobile airbags and the rest of the back country world is storage capacity. I carry what I consider the minimum in my Peips 24L (liters, the commie measurement of volume, 3 liters is roughly a gallon) my probe and shovel, bca radio, firestarters, and some snivel gear for warmth in case I get caught over night. My neph-son carries nothing but his probe, shovel and radio. His bag weighs 11lbs and mine is 15lbs. His bag “feels” a lot lighter than mine. I carrya lot of safety crap on my sled. Tools, hypothermia bags, medical gear, food, water, Red Bull’s and more snivel gear like back up goggles and gloves. That’s about 20lbs more.
I’d recommend carrying the absolute least amount of weight in your back pack and for most women a ski/snowboard style air bag is perfect. Don’t get hung up on snowmobile air bags, just bigger and a
Magnet for more weight

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Currently: Day dreaming of snow
jdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register