• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 m8 153 vs 04 king cat 1m 162

J
Dec 9, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My friend is looking into getting a 07 m8 or the 1m. He was just curious which one stands out better for performance, the 1m has a boondocker and the m8 is stock. any suggestions would be great,
thanks

J
Dec 9, 2007
Bismarck, ND
i have the 07 m8 also and i love the sled. He was just wondering whats the better sled of the two if they went up against each other and ran up the mountain. hes the type of person that has to have perfection.
aslo what needs to be done to my m8 to compete with the king cat that has a boondocker???

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
If the king is set up right and he wants power there is no question. The king must have a pipe (or it did) otherwise there is no reason for the boondocker box. They don't handle as well as an M, but for power and climbing they are tough to beat. Unless you throw a ton of money at your M8 you won't beat a well set up king. I keep repeating the well set up phrase because no sled is that good unless it is set up properly.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
I have an 07 M8 153 with geo reccomended clutch work running the right R's and pulling well....

It will not climb with a 1m900, several guys on 1m900's proved that to me :(
they were both piped and running very well too. M1000 would have beat them all though.

I wasn't way far behind though, I think with an SLP pipe combo and a fuel box I'll be right there with em

M sleds definatly handle better all around though

D
Nov 26, 2007
north idaho
M8

I have an 07 M8 153 with geo reccomended clutch work running the right R's and pulling well....

It will not climb with a 1m900, several guys on 1m900's proved that to me :(
they were both piped and running very well too. M1000 would have beat them all though.

I wasn't way far behind though, I think with an SLP pipe combo and a fuel box I'll be right there with em

M sleds definatly handle better all around though
agreed! At days end you,ll be less tired on the 8, and that makes the diff. of being stuck alot less. Power? Yeah.. Not awesome,but that slp pipe combo sounds good. Why buy an older tech chassie? My .02 cents

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I own 2 kings, and ride with guys that own every size M built. I would not trade my king for any of their sleds. Oh wait I would have to trade both sleds and still put some money with it to get a new 1000. Yeah thats not going to happen anytime soon!!

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
Had a very nice 03 1M900 loved the sled. Wife got an 05 M7 162 then an 06 M7 153 and I bought an M1000 last year.

Ok for fun power haven't beat the 900 yet BUT I wouldn't go back. The M1000, my friend's M8 and my wife's M7 are so much easier to handle. Fun to just play in the deepest powder. And they just hardly ever get stuck and go everywhere.

My .02

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
old school versus new school. don't think you'll find one person who has switched who would go back. i know i wouldn't... ride each for a day, the M is soooo much a better sled there is really no comparison.

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
I tell the story elsewhere, but I was still kinda a pining for my
1M 900 last year. I then rode an 05 KK for a friend trying to help set up the suspension a little better. This was at the very end of the season last year.

I got off it and told myself I had completely lost the yearning. The handling was so much more clunky and stiff. Still a great benchmark sled, but sleds have moved on.

Have to remember the 1M was a stop gap designed on the ZR chasis and can't get past that.

J
Dec 9, 2007
Bismarck, ND
how do the sleds perform in climibing wise, i know my M handles like a dream compared to some kings that arent set up yet, but just curious how they both climb?? I really havent got a chance to test out my M8 but wouldnt mind some feed back from all you guys
thanks!

Premium Features