• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long term storage

U
Nov 26, 2007
Looking at a 2016 axys with only 100 miles on it. I don’t know how it’s been stored. Not sure if it was in clean dry garage or shed out back

With so little use should I be concerned about corrosion on the internals from just sitting? I.e. cylinder walls, pistons, bearings, etc

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Looking at a 2016 axys with only 100 miles on it. I don’t know how it’s been stored. Not sure if it was in clean dry garage or shed out back

With so little use should I be concerned about corrosion on the internals from just sitting? I.e. cylinder walls, pistons, bearings, etc

can you ask any questions or look at it first? i don't see too many brand new sleds sitting outside. more than likely it was someone trying to get into the sport and didn't like it, possible injury/inherited and lastly the divorce sled. i'd bet yours was inside without any real storage practice. if the price was right i'd drain the gas, replace the fuel filter, fog the cylinders and then start it up.

if it was dino oil and not synthetic, the internals may still be well coated.

btw, at least it's not a 10 year old sled. still plenty of time to save her.

good luck

U
Nov 26, 2007
Going to look at it today. Talked to him last night. He stored it under a cover underneath an overhang of his garage. Not directly outside but not in a garage.

He only used it a few times in the last couple years.

Probably not a huge deal, it look looks brand new. Just a thought as I know it sat out in the temperature and moisture swings.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Ask him how often he pulled it over, what type of gas and see what oil he used. If mice are around you can look for chewed wires or a nest in the can. That's usually more of a barn or field problem though.

If the gas isn't ethanol free or a few months old, then drain it.

Also, this could be a hold over that only spent a year outside.

Premium Features