• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CAMSO DTS 129!!! First ride and conversation

H
Jan 31, 2017
Whistler BC
Hey Guys,

Newbie here, but loving all the good threads around.

Want to start a CAMSO convo, as it is sorely lacking around here, and I just picked one up and tossed it on my 2016 KTM sx-f 450. I was not going to get into snowbiking as I stand by my argument that 10G for an add on, along with another 10G for a bike, is just not worth it. a new sled only cost me 15 this season!. But i digress. I got this Camso DTS129 for a smoking deal of a good buddy, so why not, lets give this sport a go.

Clearly i read a tonne on this, figuring out what I needed and what I didnt. I am a pretty minimalist MXer, I dont ride trails, I dont offroad, Im just straight track rider. SO i didnt want a bunch of added ****, no hand warmers, no lights, no big stator, ETC, which many people think are absolute needed things when it comes to snow biking. Now again maybe im just a newbie and naive and will eventually learn better. But for now, this thing has .6 springs, thermobob 3, handguards and thats it!!! I am putting an intake on it this week, but since it wasnt super deep i had to get it out and try it. after a few hours in like 1.5 feet of fresh there was no snow in airbox at all so thats ok. and im going to throw an engine cover of some sort on it this week as well, there just wasnt any crazy carpet at walmart when i went by.

As for the ride, man I am blown away where this thing got me today. I am an expert sledder and this thing was taking me places that the sled would nbever go, i dont care how good you are or if your name is Burrant. I have ridden only 2 snowbikes in the past, a yet 129 and 2016 timber 120 SX LE, both were super fun, but the bike the yeti was attached to was POORLY maintained and had no power, so i cant tell u if i liked it, it wouldn't climb a mole hill. The timber i tried on a husky 350 FE just last month and it was super fun, it made me buy this camso. BUT, not i know its only a 350, and a 120 inch track but there is no way it would have gotten as high up as the camso I have put on my bike, the places this thing went in 3rd gear, just mellow, one hand on the bars is insane. The pure climbing ability was just unmatched by anything I have ridden yet. As for downsides, sure the suspension leaves a little to be desired, but i was cracking 5th down a whooped out trail today and it felt fine to me. ill need something more once i get into bigger jumps. The ski felt a little washy on the super steep sidehills for sure, but a little body english fixed that, It wasnt as say planted as the yeti ski.

Lets hear and see what others out there have to say about this, as I for one am very stoked on my kit. Will keep updated as the season and build progresses.

20170224_163606.jpg 20170225_113734.jpg 20170225_134028.jpg

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
If I can ever get my MT sold, I plan on trying a DTS next. I look forward to hearing more people's feedback on this kit. Everything I've seen and heard seems like a winner. Big jumps will probably never be my thing, so the complaints about suspension don't scare me.

H
Jan 31, 2017
Whistler BC
Do you have more pics of the front ski mount setup? that is one monster looking thing. Is it plastic?

Yeah mostly plastic with some aluminum plates. Also steel rods that the fork mounts bolt onto. Its pretty sturdy. I trust it more than a mototrax set up from what I'm reading. No it isn't as pretty as a yeti but when you save 7g one should not complain. The ski floats like mad, thats all I care about.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I can tell you this... We put one on my wife's 250fx and it is a blast... Hands down the best track in the powder... When you can carry 3rd in bar deep powder I think that is amazing... You will notice the timbersled will trench for the first few feet and the camso pops right up... I have a timbersled and have had a mototrax ... and road many other rides.... To me suspension wise is it's only downside... Other than that I know my wife and son live the kit and had become their favorite manly for the way it floats and how stable it is.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
Back earlier in the year when the Camso threads were created I posted some info about how my friends were trying to dial in the Camso ski. As a result of those comments Camso contacted me and I put them in touch with my friends. Since that time the guys have made some changes to the ski and have got it quite dialed in. They have probably combined for over 100 days on the two kits now. There have been some issues but Camso is on it. I think you will see some good improvements for 2018 as Camso seems quite committed to making this kit work both on a performance level and durability wise plus they have the money to develop and support the kit properly.

As far as skis in general go they make a huge difference on how a kit climbs up on the snow, I think equally as important as the track. When I switched to the Yeti ski I immediately noticed how much better my bike pops up onto the snow. The TS ski plows along until you build some speed, its like doing a deep water start on a waterski or wakeboard.

M5

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
We have 2 Camso kits on kxf 450's. Not sure why there is not more talk about these kits. They are the least expensive and from our testing work better than a rimbersled. I have not tried a yeti so not sure about it. Heard from 3 people that said they liked the Camso better than the yeti as well. My opinion is they are all good and a minimal difference in performance but so far the Camso is coming out on top.

K
Oct 2, 2008
Clarkston W.A.
Ideas?

So i have about 35 hrs on my camso, the only adjustments to the kit is shortening the strut rod and raising the forks in the tripple clamps. I have mixxed opininion on the results. So here are three things i think would help but have not tried. #1 a big wheel kit on the rear skid. #2 a tss style rear shock, would help with the lack of suspention and weight transfer. #3 add onto or change out the side skags on the ski to a wider width. The ski seems to wash out a small amount on the steep in deep powder. The cup style design of the yeti is far better. Also it would be nice to be able to adjust the placement of the ski on the spindle. Have any of you tried any of these ideas? If so please let us know results. Thanks.

M
Jan 14, 2004
What are they changing to dial in the ski?

I was talking with my buddy yesterday and asked him about the ski mods. They are doing two things, first they have been experimenting with different sized outer skegs for different conditions. In deep snow they are running skegs which are about 1" taller than stock which is helping with washout. The second thing Camso has provided are some prototype ski rubbers made of stiffer rubber. This helps the ski track as you point it uphill. If the rubber is too soft the ski can point towards the sky and wash out. With a stiffer rubber compound the ski offers more resistance and tracks better lifting the front end vs. plowing.

M5

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Has anyone had occasion to take the rear suspension out of one of these? I'd like to see some good pictures of the setup.

H
Jan 31, 2017
Whistler BC
Hey Guys, heres a few pics of my bag and fuel caddy set up on the camso, super clean. fuel isnt huge at one gallon, but enough to get home. Bag looks close to exhaust but does not burn or get hot

Bag- Fly Racing NXTLVL tunnel bag
Fuel- RotoPax 1gallon+Mount

20170228_112956.jpg 20170228_113019.jpg

M
Dec 11, 2011
Quebec, Canada
My setup:
2014.5 KTM SXF450 Factory Edition
Camso DTS129
0.58 fork springs
Thermobob 3 thermostat
Amsoil 0W40 oil
Custom crankcase breather hose with tee to prevent freezing
Cutted airbox
KTM rally wide pegs with cutted center to prevent ice build-up
Larger shifter tip which really help with snowboard boots

Like you, I'm all about MX track during the summer so I don't plan to add lights or other enduro accessories unless I have to. All the modification and accessories I added were items I felt were really helpful and should almost come with each snow bike kit.

The first ride was on pretty hard packed snow and I had a tremendous amount of pressure/weight on the ski. I tried different adjustments with no help. I removed the rear suspension limiter cable and THAT made a great difference. The down side is in deep snow or climbing where there’s now not enough weight on the ski :face-icon-small-con
I made 2 cables that are a little longer than the stock one that came with the DTS129 but I still need to test them to tell if it helps or not.

I talked to the Camso customer service and the guy told me they were working on accessories for next year. Things like gas can, storage and possibly suspension upgrade/option.

Last edited:
H
Jan 31, 2017
Whistler BC
Airbox Mods

Here is a few more shots.
Custom intake i have built. Think i might saw the end off and put a boondocker cage on the back under the fender, just to allow more air. The beauty of the KTM is that the airbox bottom I had to cut is its own piece and only 30 bux. easy. Performance felt good even with this length of pipe, and it allowed me to put the sensor and breather hose in without having to filter it.

20170303_154224.jpg IMG_20170304_164236_671.jpg 20170303_160813.jpg 20170303_163642.jpg

B
Sep 23, 2008
Penticton BC
Good system

Finally got to ride a camso on a FX450, currently on a Timbersled 120 with TSS on a KTM 500 with a Yeti Ski. I can honestly say the camso snowbike system is 50 percent better than anything I've rode yet. Very surprised, will be purchasing one next fall.

B
Sep 23, 2008
Penticton BC
Steep technical tree riding, the mono rail really allows the bike to change direction with ease, figure eights on a steep tree slope is surprisingly easy, ski works good in the powder and especially great in the frozen crusted snow. Track hooks up well, I think it has a lot to do with the angle of attack. Was very skeptical, if your looking at purchasing a snow bike kit I'd suggest trying a camso, the only complaint i have is its ""Ugly"", but who cares. I din't get a chance to ride it in the bumps or trail, so i can't tell what its like getting up and back from the alpine. I also didn't get a chance to Jump it. Easy on the shoulders.

Premium Features