• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ways to better the King

J
May 20, 2013
Eastern Or
hey guys im kinda new here so still trying to get my feet wet. I'm gonna ride the ole king on more season and I'm wondering if there are any other cheap ways to drop some weight.

wondering if it is also worth it to port the track its a 162 2 1/2 camo

already have a slp single and can

J
May 20, 2013
Eastern Or
ive thought about a boss and even though i don't ride a lot sitting down i'm a bigger guy 6'3 250 so i didn't know if it would hold up. Ive heard a few bad things about the durability, and i didn't want to spend a bout load of money to find out the hard way.

J
May 20, 2013
Eastern Or
i wish i had the money for a turbo then i would probably be on a newer sled but for the time being im just trying to better the sled i have ive moved the post forward now im thinking of doing the snorkel mod not sure though still would like opinions on that and im also thinking about porting the track

N

neosledder

Mar 19, 2009
I'm 6'2" and 290. I put the tall boss seat on last year and it really made a difference. I stand and neel a lot and the boss seat dropped some weight and made it so much more comfortable.

I also put a mesh hood on last year. (lucky pickup) and it is amazing how much weight that dropped and it is strong too! I landed on my back on top of the mesh hood and it didn't bend at all.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Sounds like you have a bunch of the right things going already.

A taller seat(look for an Assault seat-personal preference) and a mesh hood as mentioned. That is your two biggest gains and weightlosses considering you already have the pipe/muffler combo on your sled.

Porting a track is personal preference. I have all of my tracks ported and I believe it works with certain patterns. Not just row after row of 3 or 4 holes. But a thought out pattern. Again, all personal preference.

Have fun with the King, my 1M is still a blast to ride.

J
May 20, 2013
Eastern Or
thanks fells for the input, im enjoying playing around with this sled im pretty mechanical and we have just about every tool out there so it been a fun this summer tearing it apart and messing with stuff.

guess the next thing im gonna do is some porting

still wondering about the snorkel any input there ????????

thanks everyone for making me feel welcome,

Boostfreak

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2002
Lander, Wyoming
Slp intake worked great on both my kings. Single pipe and can drops good weight and gives bit more punch. Also a head will help liven things up! Fun sled!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Yeah the SLP Intake is all that's needed. It doesn't need to breathe much more than that. I would venomly oppose air filters unless there is a lot of fresh air moving around.
Ala; mesh hood or lots and lots of venting.

Many guys have done their own style air ducts which works very similar. Guys incorporate the speedo gauge hole in their fresh air intake instead of the SLP vent strip.

Best mods for 1M's Thread is chalk full of the best mods.

I'd throw some PowerPro's on her and ICE AGE rails to go along with a CR Racing tunnel extension and call it a day.(On top of everything mentioned above)

Everyone is sick of seeing my sled, but I'm in absolute love with my old beast.

423888_10150683617067389_1540369133_n.jpg 167968_499511937388_505472388_5921958_7860742_n.jpg

Last edited:
T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Best thing I did was move the steering post forward. I ported my track but probably won't ever go through the hassle again. Twin pipes will let her breathe better. Snow eliminators. Hrp drop brackets 1"? I added a m series rack to the back (cheap). They are really tough, good and reliable machines. 2.5" would be a nice track or go 16" wide.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Not a lot of help... I know, but I put on the Assault Seat w/bag (tons of space in that bag), replaced my broken rails w/IceAge rails, swapped out a modified FMF can for an SpeedWerx to match the single pipe. Being a used '04 carb', I got through one season before I had to replace the fuel/oil pump, replaced the track bearings and many track assembly nuts/bolts and added a Reverse gear.
Just got a shorty windshield with new grommet screws on the way. A few other adjustments were done before I got it... all listed together in my sig.

There's lots to do if you feel the need... but I've enjoyed the hell out of it as it is and I plan to run myself into the ground this year, as is.

J
May 20, 2013
Eastern Or
I've been wondering how heavy the assault seats are they look like what m after but the look heavy are they? I'm definitely gonna go with some snow eliminators. I was kinda leaning against pods IMO they just don't make sense unless you can plum cool air to them or bring them up away from the heat! I have an SLP single and can but how much would a new Y pipe help???????

Sorry I'm kinda long winded

Also been thinking about some new handle bars the stockers look really heavy but I don't want to sacrifice durability!!!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Buy a lexan hood

port the track 1.25" hole saw and port behind every other paddle, buy ice scratchers, remover upper outside bogey's wheels, drill 1/2 " holes in the clutch cover, buy a used boss seat. throw a used 2.25 PC under it. and enjoy. Great sled. only limiting factor is the suspension. my last king was tricked out as much as you could do to it except big bore , including NOS, head work, piped , ported, I ran Twin Jaws. etc.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
SLP doesn't make the cold air intake for this sled any more. Get some frog skinz that cover the air intake vents at your shins and take out the foam inside. When you do that, block off the air intakes from the engine side on both the exhaust and clutch areas. The foam gets blocked with the fine powder and then freezes which stops the air from getting in.

Boss also doesnt make seats anymore but I think someone took over a custom boss seat manufacturing. Search the web for Boss seat and you'll find it.

I just put the 2.6 power claw under mine this summer in place of the attack 20. Hope it makes a huge difference. To port or not to port....that is the question.

I have been working on some mods to the air box since SLP stopped production. The mod I'm doing allows you to keep the tool box on top and the original design but will allow some additional air to be drawn in. I will post some pics when it is near complete.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
don't know squat about Boss... but you can still find the WRP Assault seat for these monsters. Picked one up last yr. Shipped it came in with small rips on the front... called back and got a solid replacement asap, no problem.
Haven't used it yet... but looking forward to it. Amazing amount of storage space in that WRP under-seat bag.

Premium Features