• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching after adding HP with single pipe

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Hi guys,

I recently installed a JAWS pipe on my SKS and dyno'd it to see what the gains were. I got a gain of 10hp from stock and now I would like to make sure I right the correct clutching to actually law the power to the ground.

Peak HP was shown at 8350-8400RPM. Last year when running a stock pipe I was clutched with stock black primary spring, 10-70 weights and the stock helix/sec spring. I was hitting 8250 with this setup at low elevation.

I recently installed Dalton adjustable weights and would like to know if you guys out there running a single pipe have just adjusted your RPM with primary weight or if you've done anything else?

I ride 0-3000

Thanks!
Mike

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Your on the right track. Which weights did you buy? they have several "base weights" to pick from..... How many grams are your weights with no set screws added?

You will need to decide how much (if any) weight you want to put in the tip before you install the weights, after that you can adjust the center and heel of the weight without taking anything apart.

These weights work really well, as long as you have enough adjustment of tip weight.... thats why I asked about which set you have.

I found it best to run as much heel weight as possible(without making it bog), it really grabs the belt, gives the sled more bottom end and makes the clutches run cooler.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Your on the right track. Which weights did you buy? they have several "base weights" to pick from..... How many grams are your weights with no set screws added?

You will need to decide how much (if any) weight you want to put in the tip before you install the weights, after that you can adjust the center and heel of the weight without taking anything apart.

These weights work really well, as long as you have enough adjustment of tip weight.... thats why I asked about which set you have.

I found it best to run as much heel weight as possible(without making it bog), it really grabs the belt, gives the sled more bottom end and makes the clutches run cooler.

Thank you!

I bought the QAP 3 which gives me a base weight of 66g.

I feel like you are maybe mistaken because I don't think with the Daltons you can pick whether the weight is tip, mid or heel. The weight are little allen screws that you put right into the end of the weight and that's it.

Am I missing something or are some of you not putting the allen screws all the way into the weight?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Take a close look at a weight, the threaded hole for the set screws goes all the way through.... But, the threads start from both ends of the weight and there is a "seat" about a 1/4" from the tip. If you use a set screw in the tip, it has to be installed from the tip. All other screws are installed from the heel.

Maybe they have changed this, but thats how the set I had was.

I was hoping you were going to say you bought the 70g base weights because with the 66g weights I think your going to end up having them fully loaded with screws.

I had the 66g weight in my 16 and with an SLP pipe I had them fully loaded and it still wasnt enough weight in the tip..... and I was riding 8-10,000 ft.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Take a close look at a weight, the threaded hole for the set screws goes all the way through.... But, the threads start from both ends of the weight and there is a "seat" about a 1/4" from the tip. If you use a set screw in the tip, it has to be installed from the tip. All other screws are installed from the heel.

Maybe they have changed this, but thats how the set I had was.

I was hoping you were going to say you bought the 70g base weights because with the 66g weights I think your going to end up having them fully loaded with screws.

I had the 66g weight in my 16 and with an SLP pipe I had them fully loaded and it still wasnt enough weight in the tip..... and I was riding 8-10,000 ft.

Oh really? How much weight do you think I'll need to run with my pipe and 0-3000ft? I didn't think I would need to run more than 70-71.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Oh really? How much weight do you think I'll need to run with my pipe and 0-3000ft? I didn't think I would need to run more than 70-71.

If you were running 10-70's with the stock pipe and turning 8250, your going to need a couple more grams with the 10 extra HP.

These dalton weights are the same profile as a polaris 10 series weight but they dont have the same amount of mass in the "belly" of the weight. You end up needing to run more total weight with the daltons then you would an OEM weight.

They are by far the most user friendly weight to tune, but you need to start with a base weight very close to where you need to be.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
If you were running 10-70's with the stock pipe and turning 8250, your going to need a couple more grams with the 10 extra HP.

These dalton weights are the same profile as a polaris 10 series weight but they dont have the same amount of mass in the "belly" of the weight. You end up needing to run more total weight with the daltons then you would an OEM weight.

They are by far the most user friendly weight to tune, but you need to start with a base weight very close to where you need to be.

Oh boy, fingers crossed that 73.5 is enough, that's the max i can do with these :(

Premium Features