• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moveable sheave bushing-primary

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Has anyone had issues with their primary moveable sheave bushing getting sticky?

Last season i noticed mine was sticking (took a lot of force and wiggling to get it to go in and out with the cover off). Had the dealership replace it with a new oem bushing. Changing my weights tonight and noticed the same thing is going on again. This is my first polaris, but this certainly can't be normal.

Next question is, can i ride with it for a couple more days, or is it going to cause bigger issues.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
have you keep your clutch clean? do you use break/carb cleaner on it {witch is not a good idea}or just compressed air and hot soapy water with a good rinse ?? if you are trying to move it without the cap on, it can feel "sticky" do to it slightly cocking of the bushing on the shaft, if so see what it feels like with the cap on and no spring in. I have found that when they are wore out they get sloppy but still only stick when cocked on the shaft. but im no pro just an enthusiast. if you keep having problems with the clutch I hear indy dan can make that clutch better than new and last longer than when it was new!!! might give him a PM. good luck xfire

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
have you keep your clutch clean? do you use break/carb cleaner on it {witch is not a good idea}or just compressed air and hot soapy water with a good rinse ?? if you are trying to move it without the cap on, it can feel "sticky" do to it slightly cocking of the bushing on the shaft, if so see what it feels like with the cap on and no spring in. I have found that when they are wore out they get sloppy but still only stick when cocked on the shaft. but im no pro just an enthusiast. if you keep having problems with the clutch I hear indy dan can make that clutch better than new and last longer than when it was new!!! might give him a PM. good luck xfire

Thanks for the idea, just threw the cover on and it went from hard to move to impossible to move, so guessing its time to replace. No brake cleaner sprayed on it. Its not immacualte but does get blown out frequently. Has less than 1000 miles. I agree on the sloppiness when worn out, not sure what the issue is here, maybe heat?

Just me ranting, not disagreeing with the indy dan comment. Everyone raves about the p85 being the best primary in the industry yet its recommended to send them to dan and spend $100s on them. Really makes me appreciate those "crappy" ski doo clutches.

I would assume it will get stuck in gear like when a primary roller sticks on a cat clutch, so going to get a new bushing put in before riding it.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
could be heat just strange that their not sloppy-clean but sticky. indy dan gets on these forms and is all ways willing to try to help I would shoot him a PM he might give you some insight on the problem.. was the clutch acting up when you were riding?? or did you just notice it upon inspection?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Havent ridden since last year and the last trip i rode i took it on it got pulled out of the trailer, then drug in. The stator went out. So i don't remember if it was doing it on a prior ride or not. Noticed it changing weights the last time it happened as well as this time.

He would be the guy to ask, he seems to know these clutches better than the guys that build them.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I have had multiple front cover bushings stick which blows mostly with my 900's tho but once changed em from factory ones to new one they were perfect again I would try new bushings

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I have had multiple front cover bushings stick which blows mostly with my 900's tho but once changed em from factory ones to new one they were perfect again I would try new bushings

front cover bushings are not subjected to the same temp variations that the movable sheave is. swapping those out with new usually works well.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Has anyone had issues with their primary moveable sheave bushing getting sticky?

Last season i noticed mine was sticking (took a lot of force and wiggling to get it to go in and out with the cover off). Had the dealership replace it with a new oem bushing. Changing my weights tonight and noticed the same thing is going on again. This is my first polaris, but this certainly can't be normal.

Next question is, can i ride with it for a couple more days, or is it going to cause bigger issues.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The bushing sticking is from over-torquing the primary bolt

Too much torque on the bolt can cause the hub to swell enough to change diameter now that they are thinner (the mid 2000's change from the 30mm to 32 mm taper). It is far better to torque it to 70 FT/LBS multiple times ( initial and after each heat cycling) than blast it with 90-100 FT/LBS once (because when it gets warm it will go too far on the taper and change the diameter, which will cause the bushing to drag or seize on the now enlarged hub).

The other cause is lack of maintenance; allowing belt dust and other contaminants to accumulate.

The P85 is still by far the best clutch; even with the steady decline in manufacturing Quality Control. The Skud and Cat clutches are absolute garbage. The reason we advocate sending the P85 to Indy Dan is to get the very best performance out of it. Even when the Factory QC was high, Indy Dan could blue print your clutch and the gains were noticeable. Factory balancing leaves a lot on the table, your engine will last much longer with a quality balancing.

Last edited:

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Too much torque on the bolt can cause the hub to swell enough to change diameter now that they are thinner (the mid 2000's change from the 30mm to 32 mm taper). It is far better to torque it to 70 FT/LBS multiple times ( initial and after each heat cycling) than blast it with 90-100 FT/LBS once (because when it gets warm it will go too far on the taper and change the diameter, which will cause the bushing to drag or seize on the now enlarged hub).

The other cause is lack of maintenance; allowing belt dust and other contaminants to accumulate.

The P85 is still by far the best clutch; even with the steady decline in manufacturing Quality Control. The Skud and Cat clutches are absolute garbage. The reason we advocate sending the P85 to Indy Dan is to get the very best performance out of it. Even when the Factory QC was high, Indy Dan could blue print your clutch and the gains were noticeable. Factory balancing leaves a lot on the table, your engine will last much longer with a quality balancing.

thank you for clarifying this. I've always attributed it to a combination of factors. i've mostly seen it on fleet vehicles that have idled to long, possibly with too tight of belt deflection. i've assumed temperature changes were to blame. either way, i've treated the symptom by shaving down the outer diameter of the movable bushing and seating back in place with green lock tite.

when you have seen over torqued bolts, have you noticed both the clutch cover bushing and movable sheave bushing sticking or just one?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK

when you have seen over torqued bolts, have you noticed both the clutch cover bushing and movable sheave bushing sticking or just one?

It has been on dealer maintained sleds, as the Polaris torque value is too high (Indy Dan recommends lapping to insure a proper fit of the tapers, the lower torque and torquing multiple times after heat cycling, at least 3 times), additionally IMO most of the young minimum wage flunky dealer mechanics use an impact to rattle the bolt in, (and likely use an impact on the puller to get them off as well, goodbye crank bearings and center oil pump / water pump drive gears). One of many reasons why my sleds never go back to the dealer and why I wish they would offer the sleds without the Warranty cost penalty, for most of the warranty issues are caused by their own maintenance practices or lack thereof.

It has always been just the movable sheave bushing. IME

Premium Features