• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buddies without turbo's MPG?

B
Dec 3, 2001
No. Utah
Can't find much through search, can anyone give me some real world experience riding with a group where you're the only turbo range/MPG? Will I be having to lay off 2 out of every 3 hills to not go empty before everyone else at the end of the day? Does anyone just put a 2-3 gallon can on back and will that keep you in the same range as your naturally aspirated riding pals? I'm looking at a 16 Axy's with a MTNTK kit.

Thanks!

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
Everyone in our group carry's fuel!!! Always be prepared in the back county no matter if your running Stocker, BB, or Turbo and extra fuel is always a good idea for everyone!! But if your riding aggressive and climbing a little more than your buddies a extra 3 gallons of fuel should be sufficient to average it out.....and for those deep powder days that you just don't want to stop riding be sure to set up a helicopter drop for fuel ahead of time ;)

Last edited:
S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
it all depends on your riding! a NA sled at WOT. putting out 160hp will eat more gas than a turbo sled at say 5\8 or 3\4 throttle putting out the same HP. do to a better mapping!.... the real ??????? is can you stay out the flipper and not push 210HP+ when your buds are pushing their 160hp..... but their is no question about it more HP = more gas!!!! LOL don't know if that helped but in the end 2 or 3 gals. of gas dump them in the tank as soon as they will fit to get them off the back of the sled and ride as hard as you want!!!! Oo0 yea and all ways keep a can of octane boost under the seat so you can steal your buds gas when he's pissing!!!! :D

S
Nov 7, 2015
Rigby, Idaho
Can't find much through search, can anyone give me some real world experience riding with a group where you're the only turbo range/MPG? Will I be having to lay off 2 out of every 3 hills to not go empty before everyone else at the end of the day? Does anyone just put a 2-3 gallon can on back and will that keep you in the same range as your naturally aspirated riding pals? I'm looking at a 16 Axy's with a MTNTK kit.

Thanks!

I USUALLY dont carry fuel and end up with 1/3-1/4 tank of fuel left at the end of the day while everyone on stock sleds is on reserve. Depends a lot on riding style but in the steep and deep it takes a lot less work (and fuel) to get around on boost.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I've gone through 16 gallons a day on a turbo when it's really deep and I had a goods night sleep :)

It depends on the type of riding. If you're destination riding you might use less because you can take one run to get out if a bowl and they are taking 2-3 runs to get out.

As a general rule I use my spare gas plus a splash of my buddy's to get back to the truck. He's getting a turbo this year so I may need a bigger gas can!

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
what they ^^^ all said

but why risk it ? why not carry a can and wheelie up every hill :face-icon-small-hap

like said earlier if you're worried about the weight dump it in
as soon as there's room

i have a hard time thinking the average rider w/turbo will burn 3 more gallons than the stocker group
possible YES likely no

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
On a 10hr pow riding day i usually run out of gas after 6hrs. Atleast 15 times last season i had to go back and refuel.
Running a mtntk turbo with 7-8psi @sealvl.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
you ride for 10 hours :face-icon-small-sho

dam 10 hours of pow and i wouldn't need more fuel just
a hole to sleep in :face-icon-small-ton

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
we have been riding with 3 n/a sleds and 1 turbo for a few years the turbos milage has not been any kind of a problem , we used to carry gas but don't anymore be cause we never really needed it . we ride in about 10 miles then boondock and hill climb for 3 or 4 hrs and back to the truck with out issue .

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Well to be fair mostly 8h :) But if its really good then its no reason to stop before the dark hours start to settle in! :face-icon-small-coo

you ride for 10 hours :face-icon-small-sho

dam 10 hours of pow and i wouldn't need more fuel just
a hole to sleep in :face-icon-small-ton

K
Nov 21, 2016
Cody, WY
Have a riding friend with a 16 and mtntk turbo I run a 17 axys stock and we use about the same amount of fuel within a gallon or so. as everyone else says, depends on the position of the flipper use.

Premium Features