• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will I be happy going from an '07 800 to a '16 600?

C
Oct 2, 2015
Hey guys, quick question here. My first sled, a 2007 Summit 800 blew up on my last season and i ended up parting it out.

I've been looking at getting into the 600 class for a couple reasons: reliability, and flickability (I'm only 140 lbs). I ride mainly mountain, but nothing too crazy, fairly conservative.

I have an opportunity to pick up a new 2016 Cat 6000 Limited, or 2017 RMK 600 for a decent price, my main question is am I going to feel a major drop off, or will I be ok with it? Anybody with experience in this area, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I had a riding buddy that was your size, always rode an 800 with us guys that had 80 more lbs to lug around. One day he had to ride his 600 back up sled. He did great but was no longer king of the hill like he was when he had better power to weight than us. Frustrated the heck out of him.

That said, you can certainly have plenty of fun on a 600. The newer sleds make up for a lot in weight and handling. It will struggle some on deep days and wont climb with the 800s but no doubt you can pick up some reliability in a Polaris by going that route.

I think the altitude you ride at also makes a difference. We ride 10,000-13,000 feet and the 600s do struggle there. Personally I would be on a reliable Cat 800. Prices are great right now. The 600s will work but honestly, the extra power is ALWAYS nice to have and on the Cat you do not give up reliability to have it.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Obviously an 800 is generally better for most. BUT keep in mind he is going from a 07 to a 16 or 17. Those sleds are DRASTICALLY different. Just in how agile, easier to ride, lighter, etc etc the 600 will dominate what he had as far as ride ability in my opinion.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I know a couple of lighter guys who tried the 600 deal, once. They didn't buy another 600 after that, I think that says it all.

W
Dec 7, 2017
Silt, CO
After an extended amount of time away from snowmobiling, the sled I bought was a 600. I had the same mentality, I am lighter, smaller, 600 is more reliable, I will be fine. Had a lot of fun on that sled, and definitely had to earn more than a few climbs my buddy's with 800's went right up. In 2016 I went to an 800 and would never consider going back. An 800 is so much more capable, which in turn equates to less time stuck, and more time enjoying riding. Even the idea of "flickable" or whatever other coined term, an 800 makes that easier with the additional power going to the track.

As mentioned by another above, this is all at 10k and up. Sounds like 600's are a lot more popular at lower elevations.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
My advice is don't try to save money by snowmobiling.

Buying the sled you really want up front is way cheaper than buying something else and then re selling or trading off to upgrade within a year or 2. So if you would really like an 800....just buy that and don't look back. That said, there is plenty of fun to be had on a 600....but I don't think there's anything documenting them being more reliable than the current 800's.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You won’t ever want to get back on your 07 if you ride a 16 or newer. But as soon as you ride a new 800 you won’t want to get back on your 600.

The 600s are super capable, shouldnt be a problem keeping up with the 800, just gotta work a little harder. Like others said over 10,000 feet is where they start to struggle.

So my answer is yes a 600 will be FINE and MUCH better than your 07. But if I were you I would definitely look for a deal on an 800. Shouldnt cost you much more than the 600, and will be well worth it.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
I ride 800’s. I rode a 16 pro rmk at 10000 ft. Im 170lbs. Not impressed. If your stuck bad and need track speed to get out, forget it. We drag raced on flat. Pretty comparable. Then we drag raced up a steep hill, launching from a decent angle. No comparison. Nevertheless, good sled and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Obviously an 800 is generally better for most. BUT keep in mind he is going from a 07 to a 16 or 17. Those sleds are DRASTICALLY different. Just in how agile, easier to ride, lighter, etc etc the 600 will dominate what he had as far as ride ability in my opinion.

I don't know about lighter... The 07 Rev was pretty light, probably mid 400's dry, about what they are today. In the Polaris line I am pretty sure the 800 is as light or lighter than the 600.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I don't know about lighter... The 07 Rev was pretty light, probably mid 400's dry, about what they are today. In the Polaris line I am pretty sure the 800 is as light or lighter than the 600.

Quick google search showed the ski doo at 473 lbs and the axys 600 at 435. Granted I didn't look into it much more for lengths, different variations of models etc. But ya I would say lighter is correct

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It really depends on ur riding group AND riding style!
I can't Express that enough.....

If everyone is on 800's, an 800 would be appropriate.
If everyone is on 6-700's then a 600 is appropriate.

Flats and boondocking, cc's don't make a huge difference.
Hill climbing, 600/700's will never keep up with 800's.
If they were equal, they wouldn't make separate classes in racing.

People will say a light rider on a 600 will keep up with a fat guy on an 800. Probably, but that doesn't make the sled equal.

I would be happy on a 1998 summit 500 136. Much happier on a 2019 Alpha 800 165.....

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It really depends on ur riding group AND riding style!
I can't Express that enough.....

If everyone is on 800's, an 800 would be appropriate.
If everyone is on 6-700's then a 600 is appropriate.

Flats and boondocking, cc's don't make a huge difference.
Hill climbing, 600/700's will never keep up with 800's.
If they were equal, they wouldn't make separate classes in racing.

People will say a light rider on a 600 will keep up with a fat guy on an 800. Probably, but that doesn't make the sled equal.

I would be happy on a 1998 summit 500 136. Much happier on a 2019 Alpha 800 165.....

It is interesting. Rider is ALWAYS the biggest factor. I dont think I have ever been in a situation where a sled has actually held us back, its only ever been the rider. We don’t typically ride into area where you have to push an 800 to its limits just to get to that “zone” if you’re doing that it’s probably a place you shouldnt be.

Sometimes it takes all of an 800 to break a trail up through the trees I guess, BUT after you get a couple sleds up it its no prob for a 600.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I've been in lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of places where the 700's and some 800's can't make the climb out.
If u Haven't been in that situation, well sir, ur group will be fine with 600's.

I can have a blast taking my mom out on her 600 144.
Her sled will always make it to the top of the hill, where i take her!
It doesn't mean her sled keeps up with an 800, it just means that the hills are much smaller where i take her.

Most often, She doesn't go in to the places where the 600 won't make it out however, I have had to put her on my 800 with me to climb out of some places then get a ride down with someone so i could ride her 600 up. I could barely get the 600 up the hill that my 800 just hauled both of us up.

Still lots of fun. That's why i say, it depends on ur group and riding style.

Our group makes concessions for smaller cc sleds and rider abilities. No point in taking the smaller sleds in to somewhere we all know they won't make it out. Keep it fun for everyone!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
My advice is don't try to save money by snowmobiling.

Buying the sled you really want up front is way cheaper than buying something else and then re selling or trading off to upgrade within a year or 2. So if you would really like an 800....just buy that and don't look back. That said, there is plenty of fun to be had on a 600....but I don't think there's anything documenting them being more reliable than the current 800's.

this is my philosophy as well.

that said, take a look at the tracks as well as the cc's. The 3" on the cat will have that sled eating the Polaris on climbs. but it will not be as flickable at all. Polaris coined that phrase, it goes hand in hand with spinning the track fast everywhere you go.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I've been in lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of places where the 700's and some 800's can't make the climb out.
If u Haven't been in that situation, well sir, ur group will be fine with 600's.

I can have a blast taking my mom out on her 600 144.
Her sled will always make it to the top of the hill, where i take her!
It doesn't mean her sled keeps up with an 800, it just means that the hills are much smaller where i take her.

Most often, She doesn't go in to the places where the 600 won't make it out however, I have had to put her on my 800 with me to climb out of some places then get a ride down with someone so i could ride her 600 up. I could barely get the 600 up the hill that my 800 just hauled both of us up.

Still lots of fun. That's why i say, it depends on ur group and riding style.

Our group makes concessions for smaller cc sleds and rider abilities. No point in taking the smaller sleds in to somewhere we all know they won't make it out. Keep it fun for everyone!

Lol, go back and get the sled in the spring? Guess we’ve never had to leave a 600... maybe our whole group should ride them :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features