For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Avalanche and Survival Saftey, first aid and survival information

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
rhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond repute
Default What NOT to do....

yikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amI8d...ature=youtu.be

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhalloran For This Useful Post:
POWDR (01-01-2013), Rev Kev (01-02-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Currently: Determined
Basic Member
Carramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond reputeCarramrod has a reputation beyond repute

There's these things called gloves an a object called a shovel handle and a device that each individual should have called a beacon. That guy is lucky to be alive with how unprepared and disorganized his partners were thank god he wasnt buried deep and his head and hand were exposed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carramrod For This Useful Post:
sledsrock (01-01-2013), xpspenziv (01-04-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 AM
Currently: Need Snow!!!!!!
rocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond reputerocks rev has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!
"84" Phazer 121 (kids) Yep he has 2 sleds

Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Currently: BRRRRRRRRRRRP
Boondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond reputeBoondocker82 has a reputation beyond repute

That's scary, hope my buddies are a bit more prepared than that

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Currently: Keeping it 90
Always war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond reputeAlways war has a reputation beyond repute

What's with the guy in the background, just twiddling his thumbs? This video is hard to watch. I would of been to embarrassed to post this video.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Currently: Living life
mikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond reputemikew5945 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a good group to stay away from.
My hands are cold.
I'm stuck. Do you want help?

Your buddy is burried. You have six minutes but be sure to come unprepaired and take your time.

A good friend will bail you out of jail. No questions asked.
A true friend will say "What an awsome ride" as he sits next to you in jail.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Currently: Loving the new Silber external wastegate turbo!
Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,214 Posts
skibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond repute

That was very painful to watch.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Currently: reasonable man. LOL!
papafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I could not watch the entire video. Way too painful. So many things wrong with that video I don't even know where to begin. If I was the guy buried I would kick my friends ars if the every finally got me dug out....Unbelievable! Only calm one is the guy buried and he should have been the hysterical one. WOW!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Currently: Snow Dancin. Bring Em on Down
Basic Member
POWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond repute

Always something to learn from an incident, even when the task itself is done poorly. The group still reached the desired end state. Did they get there properly? Some will say no and be correct. Some may say that with what they had available, they were successful. I feel they were successful. Should they have been in the backcountry to begin with. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

They obviously had a plan given their resources. Again, not enough resourses to go around so shoud not have been in the situation at first.

All the things mentioned in previous posts were obvious mistakes that they got away with.
Some things that went right. They appeared to be in a safety zone while only one skier was descending. The zone may have been a touch close. Could have improved that.

They kept an eye on him and apparently designated a spotter, although, that became unclear as the incident unfolded due to one spotter (the guy talking) had no beacon and had to detract feom his watch. The other spotter(it seemed to me) was wearing the beacon yet was not qualified to perforn the rescue. Remember, not everyone has to jump in and start after the buried party. There CAN and HAVE been secondary avalanches that have buried would be rescue parties.

This brings me to my next point. The one guy said, you do not need a beacon, you can see him right there. WRONG! A secondary avy could come and bury him. I am assuming he did not put the beacon on and in the case of a secondary, the beacon could have been ripped feom his hands and rescuers might only find a buried beacon.

The obvious mistakes are obvious and the group put themselves in great danger. However, if we take time to critically think about an incident, we can pull out the finer points. I can't tell you the amount af times I have seen a full group of the party trying to perform a rescue on a multi camber slope that could easily rip again. Usually it goes ok. However, something to think about. Everyone wants to help. Sometimes helping means staying out of dnger from the worst case senario.

It is hard not to judge in a senario such as this and trust me, I did. However, I continued to watch as I was interested in if they would be successful and how.

Strange how the guy with the camera seemed so calm, yet he was clearly freaked out and made mistakes a plenty. Gloves, shovel handle, all things mentioned and of course more. It does a lot to keep a group calm to speak calmly and encourage someone to slow down. Slow and steady is fast. Check in with youself before engaging. Take 10 seconds to gather and prepare yourself. 10 seconds in the beginning can save a minute later.

The one thing I did judge, is what a pus the guy was to stop digging to warm up his hands while the buried dude dug himself out. Again, acted calm, but clearly all over the place and frantic.

My point is. High risk, low frequency events will not always go perfect (this one far from perfect), but if we think critically about an incident and remove judgement, we can better prepare ourselves and our group for success in the backcountry.

Stay humble as we all make mistakes in our lives.

I am glad they made it out and I hope they learn from this as I did and I hope others do as well.

Spelling might be jacked due to iPad so I apologize. Also, not attacking anyone here, just my humble opinion that this is still an excellent learning tool beyond the obvious mistakes.

Thanks for letting me take up you valuable time with my rant

Later

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to POWDR For This Useful Post:
rmscustom (01-02-2013), RobertTrivanovic (03-16-2013), TCar (01-03-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM
papafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Pwder: thank you very much for your comments. Many of us, me especially allow initial emotion to dominate comments and opinions. I take avalanche safety and practices very seriously and get quite mad when multiple back country enthusiasts put their own life and others at risk like this. I am far from being an expert and never feel prepared "enough" but there are many Precautions that are neglected continuously by skiers and sledders that can easily escalate to this and beyond. Time to get our head out of the sand folks because yes it can happen to any of us at any given time. That is the risk we take each day we travel into the Bc but please please prepare ourselves for the worst and prevent the things we can. Sorry it got long. Cheers and enjoy the snowy season that I love so much!
-papa

The Following User Says Thank You to papafinger1 For This Useful Post:
POWDR (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Basic Member
POWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Currently: Patiently waiting for snow
Thanked 1,042 Times in 622 Posts
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Basic Member
rhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond reputerhalloran has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Currently: wish it was winter
Rev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond reputeRev Kev has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Rev Kev For This Useful Post:
POWDR (01-02-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Currently: Trying to remember where the rocks are from the last storm
motorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond reputemotorheadskier has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to motorheadskier For This Useful Post:
POWDR (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Unklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond reputeUnklsnomobile has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Currently: assault in garage, waiting for snow
scott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond reputescott t has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Currently: Snowdancing
aebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond reputeaebsledder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Currently: season is done and I'm sad but ready to get the boat on the water!
Basic Member
Travelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Currently: Some guys my age take Viagra. I just ride my Pro.
The Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fourth Wolf has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to The Fourth Wolf For This Useful Post:
2Thetopp (01-08-2013)