• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM airbox.... choking in deep snow

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Love the new XM but... I can't stand it when riding in deep snow the airbox gets choked out from the snow...
Has anyone found a product that can get more air to the box that doesn't get buried with snow??

Thanks!!
dc

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It has a flapper valve under the hood that SHOULD open if the main intakes get clogged or iced. I just wipe them off once in a while while riding and havn't had any problems.
Could it be the exhaust getting restricted? that is MUCH more common especially with some aftermarket silencers.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
It has a flapper valve under the hood that SHOULD open if the main intakes get clogged or iced. I just wipe them off once in a while while riding and havn't had any problems.
Could it be the exhaust getting restricted? that is MUCH more common especially with some aftermarket silencers.

Good point on the exhaust. I still run the stock.
The last two days have been in 3' powder and the side vents plug up pretty quick. Thanks

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
They may look plugged but as winter brew stated there is a powder valve under the good that will draw air once the outside ones plug. Are you noticing a power loss or just seeing there plugged

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Watched my egt's go from 1150 to 300 when intake was plugged from leaning to the left. Mine has the plunger in box also. Went to headlight delete, cold air intake and run a tube down to airbox vent. Works really well. Just don't mess with airbox after the sensor.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Mine was choking out every now and again the other day. The powder valve works but if every crack of the body panels are filled with snow your gonna choke out no matter what. Just cross a buddies track every once in a while and let some of the snow fall off. This is a crazy deep December and remember, we bought sleds, not submarines.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
They may look plugged but as winter brew stated there is a powder valve under the good that will draw air once the outside ones plug. Are you noticing a power loss or just seeing there plugged

I am noticing power loss. Rpm's will drop. As soon as I can sweep the snow off the vents you can hear the motor come back to life.

M

mikesbike2003

Jan 1, 2009
Idaho Falls,Idaho
Watched my egt's go from 1150 to 300 when intake was plugged from leaning to the left. Mine has the plunger in box also. Went to headlight delete, cold air intake and run a tube down to airbox vent. Works really well. Just don't mess with airbox after the sensor.

Who is making the headlight delete kit?

T
Aug 8, 2011
When under the hood temps are up and the intake plugs, the inner valve opens,draws hot air, and the motor slows down. Mine dose it all the time. Sometimes it will pop as the ecu re tunes for the hot air.

I saw in another thread someone was showing an intake through the glove box. Mine will be getting this tactic.

C
Dec 16, 2011
bc
Im waiting for the gas tank guys to design an airbox thats integral to the tank. Breath air from the rear of the tank where it's always clear. Straight shot plhenum to the throttle bodies. Maybe it'll be on the xmrrst with utb and cpds...

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Im waiting for the gas tank guys to design an airbox thats integral to the tank. Breath air from the rear of the tank where it's always clear. Straight shot plhenum to the throttle bodies. Maybe it'll be on the xmrrst with utb and cpds...

Not a bad idea. Having 3-4 different spots to draw air would be nice.
Then the air could be chilled as it goes by the snow packed tunnel. :light:

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Have you seen any pictures of this intake through the glove box? Who was making them?

When under the hood temps are up and the intake plugs, the inner valve opens,draws hot air, and the motor slows down. Mine dose it all the time. Sometimes it will pop as the ecu re tunes for the hot air.

I saw in another thread someone was showing an intake through the glove box. Mine will be getting this tactic.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
I don't see how the dash vent would help much. That area fills up with snow faster than the side vents.

S
Oct 5, 2008
Okanagan
What about taking out the bottom air box that backs into the seat and drilling holes and some mesh screen on there. It doesn't seem allot if any snow gets into that area and it would draw air from the closest spot possible to the actual intake of the motor. I have taken my sled apart a few times now and have been really close to pulling it out and giving it a try. If it wasn't for the clutch being in the way and the far clamp being so hard to reach I would have done it by now. I did drill a bunch if holes in goggle compartment that backs onto the gauge slot to see if allows a bit of that hot air from the motor up and in the goggles compartment to see if it'll get a bit warmer. Have not riden sled yet so have no feedback quite yet on that but I'm seriously thinking about pulling the brottom air box and putting a bunch if small holes in it with some screen. If anyone has tried that let me know how it's working.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Doesn't it defeat the purpose when you punch holes in your box behind the sensor? How does it know what or how much air it is getting and be able to compensate

Premium Features