• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine torque stop...

B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
Hey. After a serious vibration in my sled i think i have found my problem.

The OEM "torque stop" behind the primary clutch is contacting the side of the engine case. Not the bottom of the case where the whole pad makes contact, but one side of the case. I attached a picture as best i could take it (not that well)

Just curious if anyone might have run into this before or any advice. I am considering cutting the pad down or notching the case rib itself.

Thanks for the time and space guys!

uploadfromtaptalk1355362562940.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1355362585582.jpg

B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
Motor mounts are all brand new. Can't see it being not straight as all motor mounts are tight and clutches are not that far out of aligment. It is very strange though.

B

bustamove

Oct 31, 2010
what about the motor mount, mounts... lol. for instance my motor mounts were good, but one of the 2 little bolts where broken. and also the main bolt that attaches thru the mount to case "ear" was stripped clean thru.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I don't think this would cause any issue, but your motor mounts are suspect. Did you actually replace them or just look at them? If you just looked at them did you put a screwdriver through the center hole and twist to the side to check for cracking?

B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
Motor mount are literally new. Put them in last season and had 5 rides on them and i just had the motor on the bench last week. I did double check them and all bolts. Everything is great.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Hmmm

Has the sled ever been wrecked?

I'm sure it could be nothing, but it just seems really odd that something like that would be off like that.

I suppose that if everything is ok and your not going through belts like crazy, then just trim it and forget about it. I don't really see it being a vibration issue though as the motor vibs should mold the stop in pretty short order.

B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
Sled has never been wrecked. I know the original owner very well. Went through one A-arm and that was it. I did not have this problem with my old motor (torque stop contact). The old motor had a piston drop the skirt and destroy everything from the cases to the crank. Seized at idle...lol. The replacement cases i got were used and i have no reason to believe there is a serious issue with them.

Either way i have the tools to check the clutch adjustment, and its fine. Off to grinding i go!

B
Nov 24, 2010
Sled has never been wrecked. I know the original owner very well. Went through one A-arm and that was it. I did not have this problem with my old motor (torque stop contact). The old motor had a piston drop the skirt and destroy everything from the cases to the crank. Seized at idle...lol. The replacement cases i got were used and i have no reason to believe there is a serious issue with them.

Either way i have the tools to check the clutch adjustment, and its fine. Off to grinding i go![/QUOTE

Hope you got the problem fixed!! Little side note if you got the time and a little more money to throw at a 9 install the aftermarket vibration dampeners/ tourqe stops. makes a huge diff.. Owned 3 nines. Keep selling them and going to buy something different and keep buying another one!! Had the stops in 2 and not in the other day and night on the vibration!!!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Stops increased vibration in mine. Possibly you had bad motor mounts or out of balance primary. Best Vibration cure on a 900 is to have your primary professionally gone through and balanced. I recommend indyspecialties for this. Night and day on the vibration and performance of the sleds after Dan does your clutch.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
heres my thoughts on this.

#1, there actually 2 different size rubber stops. one of them is smaller in diameter then the other..you may have the bigger one and thats why its not fitting correctly. i had the same issue before, i just gapped the spacing to .010" between the stop and the engine case...if its slightly touching the side of the engine i wouldnt sweat it..it will wear im sure and the transfer of vibration will be minimal.

#2 maybe you have a bent thread shaft on the stop and its cocked at an angle pushing it againist the engine.

i would just gap it right and press on. if you havent changed your motor mounts, i would do that regardless, same goes for balancing te clutch..both are HUGE and SHOULD be done no matter what...if you have done it already within 1-2 yrs max, press on little buddy

Premium Features