• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

91 Indy 400 build

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
I am in the process of rebuilding my old 91 indy 400 for/with my 12 year old son. I wanted him to ride my wifes previous sled, 98 indy trail deluxe, but he thinks it looks like a old ladies sled and is not cool. It's a great sled but I have to agree with him, although I didn't tell him that. I gave him the option of removing the rack and 2 up seat and replacing it with 1 up seat or rebuilding the 400. Unfortunately he picked the 400, so the rebuild begins.
The engine and drivetrain only has about 300 miles on it since I rebuilt it last year so thats not a problem. I need to replace the rear suspenssion shocks so I looked around for a extra 10 121" and found one in really good shape for $200. Cheaper that replacing the shocks in the old one and will be an improvement in ride over the stock, not to mention lifting the back end a bit, he likes the look of that also. I would like to go to 136 but I don't want the extra expense and work of instaling a different track right now. I have the measurements for installing the extra 10. He wants to raise the handlebars a couple inches so it is more comfortable to drive, so I have an extra set of handle bars from my rx1 that will give the 2"lift and I don't need to buy risers. I would like to put a different seat on it also because the foam in the original is prety much wore out. He is a tall kid and I would like to add a few inches in height to the seat and have it a bit stiffer foam also. Is there a seat from a different sled that would fit the contour of the gas tank or would it be easier to get some stiffer foam and custom make one from scratch.
I have to replace the front suspenssion bushings and shocks also. What options do I have for shocks. Do I need to go with the stock oem gas shocks or are there some better shocks that would give it a better ride up front with out breaking the bank. What is the max extended length of shock that I can use ? Would using a longer shock give me a higher more travel ride or would that just cause problems down the road. I have been thinking of putting some plastic ski's on, would it be worth it over the stock metal skis.
The sled has been under a tarp all summer and the clutches need some serious cleaning. What would be the best way to get them looking like new again the aluminum is quite dirty and I can't seem to get it off with warm soapy water. This will probably get a huge "NO" response but I would like to ask it anyway. I have used HVAC coil cleaner to clean the pontoons on my pontoon boat and it works wonders(for them). It is a spray on cleaner. Spray it on, let it foam a bit and rinse it off. The foaming action releases the crud attached to the aluminum so that it can be rinsed off. It's amazing what it does for the pontoons. Would this work for the clutches or would this be a big no no? I wish I had an old clutch to try first. I realize this seems like a lot of work to be doing to an old sled but this was my first real sled and has alot of sentimental value so fixing it up for my son is worth it, especialy since he loves it to start off with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
screamin 400

Could be a fun project.
If your motor, plastics, and chassis is all good it'll make a good platform.
Front to back I would
-Find plastic skis shouldn't matter what kind just build aluminum spacers out of round stock to make up the difference.
-Look through the high performance engineering shock part number list to see what other models and brands use the same length shocks. Probably find a set on eBay.
-pop the clutch off and send take it in for rebuild. They can set it up and put a new finish on replace the spring and give it a good once over.
- you have bars
- get a gas tank and seat from an edge rmk. Nice light low combo kinda short too it'll look like it has a longer track
- track wise I would find a 136 set. It shouldn't be hard. Probably try hardcore sledder site for those parts. Spend a couple bux there and get something newer and lighter. I'd go with a 1.5 lug for that 400
-need a tunnel extension, pretty easy diy. Just go to a steelyard and build it to your likeling

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Yes, the whole sled is in realy nice shape, it just needs a front suspenssion bushing kit installed, which is easy to do. I can get that from Royal distributing for $50. Other than that it is just the routine maintenance stuff like the shocks. But like I said, I can upgrade the rear suspenssion for the price of new oem shocks. I would love to do the 136" but time and budget don't allow that right now. The guy that has the extra 10 also has a tunnel extension for $30 so I might try to swing a deal with both of them and then I could get rail extensions and track next year for the 136"
What year edge rmk stuff will work.

Last edited:
F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I've got two XCR tanks (1 clear, 1 black) that I'd send you for the price of shipping. Shoot, I've got a 133 XLT SKS extension I'd throw in too. 8 tooth drivers too.

Is it a trailing arm chassis? If so, I've got a set of Fox shox I'd make you a smoking deal on also.

PM me if interested.

FORDpickupman

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Don't rule out a 133 or 136" track. I have a '93 440 SKS that I picked up a Polaris 133x1.5 track a while back for $90 shipped, found plastic racer skis at a swap meet for $50 (brand new, no wear bars, luckily I had some on hand), mountain bar for $5, rail edge grips from Fab-Craft $5, skid plate $5, windshield bag $5, and a new windshield for $40. It is a pretty fun sled to goof around on.

I picked up a nearly new 136x1.25" for my 340 for $85 on a local CL ad. I had the tunnel and rail extensions from a previous sled. All I needed then were the rear bumper $5 and a bumper cap $5. I also put a windshield bag on it for $5.

Keep your eyes open while you work on it and things will start to appear. Good luck and happy fixing.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for the encouragement guys:yo:. I was a bit scepticle putting this build on here because it is an old small hp sled. It's a bit intimidatng when you see some of the awsome and expensive build here. I will not give up on the long track because it is way more practicle where I live. It is amazing what you can find if you just have patience. I found some cheap and even free stuff when I was rebuilding my Polaris RZR. It's great when you have the generousity of people like fordpickupman to help out.

Last edited:
N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Hey stomper. Long time no talk. If you need any small bits and pieces for that Indy 400 I might have some stuff . I have a box full of stuff from a 95 that I stripped. Antifreeze bottle, oil bottle, some tie rod ends , jack shaft, drivers. Stuff like that. Next time you swing through Yorkton stop in. It's only collecting dust. If that clutch needs a rebuild I might have a kit kicking around also and I can give that clutch a bead blast to make it look like new.

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
No haven't got the tubing bender finished yet. Still need to get the right jack for it. To many hobbies and not enough time. Heading out tomorrow morning to Southern Montana to pick up the wife's 2011 yamaha nytro and Fargo next weekend to pick up my nytro. Gave up trying to get one here. Willing to drive 1000 km's to get what I want so it doesn't matter what direction I go in. Found mine here on snowest and could get 4 for the same price. Couldn't get any of the cheap guys here to bite.

Of course they will say after I get it home , man I should of got one of those. I will promptly show them the door. Been there before with the last 2 I bought and don't want to hear the whinning again. I was even going to do most of the paperwork and pick them up for free. Burning gas to get one so a few more wouldn't cost much more in gas. Next time I won't pass on what I find.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
I hear you on the being busy thing. My next sled is going to be a nytro. I have an 03 rx1 right now and the wife has a 06 attack and we absolutly love them. I have 13,400 miles on mine and it is still going strong. My buddy has a 11 nytro and it's a sweet sled. Absolutly love the yammy 4 strokes. How much of a saving are you getting from up here?

Premium Features