• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C3 post forward on the 08, 09 or 2010??

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
PJ--did it to my old man's '08 860 along w/ narrow arms from Alternative Impact. Did both at the same time so initially it was hard to tell what was the biggest improvement. Sled is ridicuosly easy to sidehill. I just did the narrow stance to my turbo, it was an improvement, but would be better w/ the forward kit. You have to update the post on the older sleds, so not an extremely cheap mod, but worth it. To do over again, I would do the post first.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
You say older. What do you mean by older. I'm assuming that a 2009 does not fall into that category. I wish they had some already on the USA side. It'll take two weeks for it to get here.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Should have said earlier XP's. I don't consider my '09 old either. '08-'10 XP's have to go w/ Freeride or C3 post. '11 and '12 Summits I believe can use stock post. I plan on doing the post forward this summer.

M
Jul 13, 2011
Sutter, Cali
probably one of the best mods ive done. i had one hell of a time getting used to swinging the bars since i came from a motocross background. My back was sore and my arms were killing me after the first ride on my xp. I came home and ordered the post forward kit and now i ride all day. turning is way easier. i dont think i could ride an xp without the kit. I used the post they sell with it and it went together well. You do have to reform your airbox quite a bit but its worth it. oh and my sled is an 09

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
we did the narrow front end from alt impact last year, wow a great change to do, just did the post forward, together they are great, this is a must doo not that hard to do, i did it on my 08 just recently the hardest part was heating up the air box to mod it for the post, i used the xrs post, one thing i did was put the air box on and mark the spot to mod, then i used a heat gun and took a large socket, bigger that the steering post and just pushed it in to the air box after i heated it up, work great, no problems you wont regret doing it

giddyup

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Best mod for me. It makes the steering easier and more predictable, even in power turns. Allowed me to use all the running board I want (front or back). The bars don't get in the way on the turns. On side hills, it doesn't seem to want to finish the turn for you (when you counter steer). I need less of a riser to accomplish the same hieght. So comfortable when I stand, shoulders don't feel the strain. Makes me want to ride longer!
Other than that, I don't like it.:face-icon-small-hap

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
You can just modify your stock post too. I took mine to a welder down the road and gave him a hand to do it. Charged my 20 bucks to cut out the curved section and weld in a straight piece.

Glad I didnt have to monkey with the airbox. Just put a timbersled intake on instead. I hope it works ok cause my sled worked really well before. Heard mixed reviews on the TS intake.

Cant wait to try my sled out with the new ergos. Im a little worried about the strength of it though?? That bracket isnt that heavy duty. But I guess a guy would have heard about it by now if there were issues.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
You can just modify your stock post too. I took mine to a welder down the road and gave him a hand to do it. Charged my 20 bucks to cut out the curved section and weld in a straight piece.

Glad I didnt have to monkey with the airbox. Just put a timbersled intake on instead. I hope it works ok cause my sled worked really well before. Heard mixed reviews on the TS intake.

Cant wait to try my sled out with the new ergos. Im a little worried about the strength of it though?? That bracket isnt that heavy duty. But I guess a guy would have heard about it by now if there were issues.

I thought the same about the bracked but I have pulled on that thing hard and it doesn't move. 6'3" 225 with just a beer in my hand!:face-icon-small-dis

C

cableguy

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Country BC
my 2011 ptek must have the old style steering and the etecs must have new one cause there is no way that it will fit can a guy go completely straight if i cut and weld or does it have to some bend in it

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I emailed Kevin at C3 last night and he replied back. Said that the dealer up there is just whacking the bend and making a dent in the spot where the post will hit the cross brace between shock towers. They do it all of the time.

C

cableguy

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Country BC
ya i have tapped the crossmember slightly and the the post slightly all clear there but i dont see how you can melt an inch and a half into the air box

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado

What size stock did you use? and how long of a piece did you weld in? I have repaired posts before by inserting an old wrist pin into the post and welding full circle around the pin and then welding fill to close the gap between the post sections. Never have broken one

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
What size stock did you use? and how long of a piece did you weld in? I have repaired posts before by inserting an old wrist pin into the post and welding full circle around the pin and then welding fill to close the gap between the post sections. Never have broken one

It is just slightly smaller than the stock OD, but has a thicker wall. So what we done is cut it to length, then stuck it in the lathe and milled it down the the proper ID to stick into each end. Then welded it up. About half a pound heavier, but super beefy.

If I wasnt broke right now I probably would have just bought the post from C3 though.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
It is just slightly smaller than the stock OD, but has a thicker wall. So what we done is cut it to length, then stuck it in the lathe and milled it down the the proper ID to stick into each end. Then welded it up. About half a pound heavier, but super beefy.

If I wasnt broke right now I probably would have just bought the post from C3 though.

How long was the "splice" you inserted?

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Put the 1 inch pipe inside and leave a 1/8 gap in the bar pieces so you get full penetration on your weld. Grind off flush and finish smooth.

Premium Features