• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HRP Alpha X Skid

M
Oct 17, 2008
Northern Utah
Considering a change to HPR Alpha X skid for 2010 D8 155 w/BD P-Gas turbo @ 8# boost. I've been on EZ-Ryde for last 2 years but racheting issues make you run the track so tight it's gotta be robbing HP + EZ-Ryde fills up and holds alot of snow. I'm 6'6" 250 so whatever I run needs to be stout. Any input?

Last edited:

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
I run the Alpha X on my 09 BD P-Gas @ 8 ish lbs and it is a great set up. It took me a few rides to get it totally dialed in for how I ride but even with basic set-up it was years ahead of stock. It floats way better in powder, when I say way better I mean it, and it keeps the front planted much better than ANY other skid I have ever ridden on hill climbs. Power transfer is good and I have had no problem with durability (6'3" 235 or more with gear) and I have gotten some reasonably good air under it without making the best of landings, no broken or bent parts yet....

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
We had one on a Turbo Dragon last year and I agree with what was said above....very adjustable, controllable ski lift, hooks up ALOT better out of the hole. I would HIGHLY recomend a set of Avid drivers, no more ratchet problems and lets you loosen up the track a bit for less drag and easier susp. movement.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I GET ZERO FINANCIAL BENEFIT FOR THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT:

Buy this suspension for your sled and enjoy the benefits of instant pop to plane. In deep light snow against other suspensions this system brings the vehicle to plane quicker and doesn't throw the skis up so that you wallow along trenching until you either stick or build enough momentum to keep going. HUGE PERFORMANCE BENEFIT RIGHT THERE!

You also experience smooth consistant controlled ski lift and balance in instantly changing traction conditions under all kinds of power. Smooth consistant chassis balance on any type of deep snow sidehill manuever. Correct geometry holding the track in position as you work through variations in terrain and add or subtract power keeps your sled in position to work. This is the single biggest advantage to this suspension because it is so versatile and so good at all the conditions that are thrown at it.

It's a great design that simply works for high HP long track deep snow sleds while being super light, super strong, and infinately adjustable.

Remember...Every rider is a different weight, every vehicle has different outputs, and in a days ride you encounter multiple types of conditions for your sled to work in. A sound geometrical design platform that is easily adjustable is the only way a rear suspension can offer excellent performance in all of the conditions that you will throw at it. The Alpha-X is that suspension. LOVE THE ONE I RODE ALL LAST SEASON!

Polaris.jpg

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I GET ZERO FINANCIAL BENEFIT FOR THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT:

Buy this suspension for your sled and enjoy the benefits of instant pop to plane. In deep light snow against other suspensions this system brings the vehicle to plane quicker and doesn't throw the skis up so that you wallow along trenching until you either stick or build enough momentum to keep going. HUGE PERFORMANCE BENEFIT RIGHT THERE!

You also experience smooth consistant controlled ski lift and balance in instantly changing traction conditions under all kinds of power. Smooth consistant chassis balance on any type of deep snow sidehill manuever. Correct geometry holding the track in position as you work through variations in terrain and add or subtract power keeps your sled in position to work. This is the single biggest advantage to this suspension because it is so versatile and so good at all the conditions that are thrown at it.

It's a great design that simply works for high HP long track deep snow sleds while being super light, super strong, and infinately adjustable.

Remember...Every rider is a different weight, every vehicle has different outputs, and in a days ride you encounter multiple types of conditions for your sled to work in. A sound geometrical design platform that is easily adjustable is the only way a rear suspension can offer excellent performance in all of the conditions that you will throw at it. The Alpha-X is that suspension. LOVE THE ONE I RODE ALL LAST SEASON!

Polaris.jpg

I will be looking to ride a Alpha-x rear skid this winter (know where I might beable to do that) . My question is what is the raw no BS weight diff on the Holtz and stock skid on my sled?

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Ha on a rare occasion ol' Suitcase graces us with his attendance...that is if we can find him..he's constantly "off" on a "shortcut" somewhere. If you hadn't ran off an hid in AK last season you could have had countless opportunities to experience yumminess.

41ish versus 58...mine are always plus a lb or so since I do my own limiter straps and like 2 instead of one that comes from Holz. Two giant issues...coated rails pack a fraction of the snow/ice so in use weight is greatly lessoned. This suspension does seem to clear out snow nicely but it obviously depends on the conditions of the day and how much you air things out.

Does take a bit of tinkering to get your dial in just the right way as a starting point. Then you learn what the variables of those shock adjustments and the limiter strap settings will make for fine tuning the setup for the conditions of the day and rider. I've got the hang of it pretty good and it just takes a couple minutes to make one universally excellent.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
LMAO, F-Bomb. I need a short cut from nebraska to home!!! I'm so ready to be done with this job. If it goes much longer i'll start sending up fleares:p I am protesting AK this winter so I can ride that still new monster I have. And yes I hope to get together more this year for some talk and rideing of your great equipment. Next year will bring another new sled is why I am wondering about the Alpha. After talking to Oberti, and getting with Struthers, for the big monster on the 2011 dragon. I will pony up the doe for the skid. Why stop short just for 2600 penny's.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
can somebody explain how this suspension works to me and how it works better then stock looks simular to stock other than shocks and the rod from upper rear track shock to lower front track shock

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Hey Suitcase...Just to put a rub in it...the Caps are absolutely coated white and it will not be very long!

$ 2600 ? Is that what those cost:D...HA that isn't even a good nights bar tab for guys like you! You "heavy" hitters make that kind of coin in a couple days...right?

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Well almost!! :p should be home this next week. I'm ready for snow and lots of it. If I'm off on the price you could pony up the rest. No big deal for a big baller like you. How was the SLS last week? Any bevarge cosumed? Did it go well for you? Have you herd from Jay lately I'm worried he is working to much and getting him self stressed out. We may need to make a doctors run to the valley when I get home to make sure he is well. buy then keating will be done elk hunting.

M
Oct 17, 2008
Northern Utah
EZ-Ryde

Gotta tell ya, the guys at EZ-Ryde PM'ed me, we had a good (long) discussion about skids, the pros and cons of each style. I ended up shipping my skid back to them for a rebuild, it came back looking fabulous, and was upgraded with all the new stuff (bearings, wheels, new style axle & inner wheels, etc.). The disussion of the physics involved made sense to me, the discussion about setting up the skid for my riding style, weight, etc. was crucial - now I will tune it a bit while on the hill and not just leave it where the shop set it.

The customer service at EZ-Ryde is exceptional. I will install the rebuilt skid under my new 2010 D8 155, and will ride with a bit more knowledge and understanding thanks in large part to Steve and Christian.

Thanks guys, I appreciate everything you've done.

Premium Features