• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmets

C
Dec 17, 2007
I currently have a full face helmet and want to move to a dirt bike type helmet. Can anyone recommend what kind I might look for? What kind of goggles?

Also, with these dirt bike type helmets, is it easy to breathe? That is the problem with my full face, I can't breathe well when I have to dig out...:D

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Try on several brands/styles/sizes, get what fits your head. That's most important.

I have an HJC ACX3 with a breath deflector. Goggles usually come off during stucks, keeps them from fogging up. I keep my helmet on more than most and i've never had difficulty breathing.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
i sued to use an HJC lid
it was good and did the job
recently purchased a SUOMy lid..their big in Europe and on the street bike scene
SUPER comfy, very light at only 3.5 lbs..i used the HJV breath deflector slightly modded

only complaint..it breathes almost too good..head gets cold in the flatlands here when it super cold out...but will be good in the hills i am sure

picked it up on ebay for $215 USD - retail is well over $600 and i got it brand new

heres a pick for ya

newlid.jpg

heres the goggles i wear w it: Dragon DX - worked good w the HJC lid as well

whitedragongoggles.jpg

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
What ever helmet you get make sure to buy the quick straps for the goggles. They will be the best thing when you get stuck . You can just unvelcro them while getting unstuck and then when you are ready to go again, just velcro them back on. Best investment in my opinion.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
Try on several brands/styles/sizes, get what fits your head. That's most important.

Try on a bunch and pick what you like.
You will want lightweight and value.
You don't really have to spend more than $100 to find a good one.
I've had HJC, Thor and a bunch of others without spending much until you find what you like.

509 goggles from Tom over there in Spokane are an excellent value for an excellent product.
I have a couple pairs of his.
Check his website http://www.509films.com/
They are snowmobile specific unlike the cheap garbage you'll find at most sporting goods stores.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
As Mule said.
Try on several different styles and types.
You wallet will determine a lot of what you will be looking at.
Just make sure you try the helmet on WITH YOUR BELCLAVA on your head.
That way you know the lid won't be to tight on those really cold days.
Also, make sure what ever brand you get has a breath deflector as an option or you can mod one to fit.

Quick straps are fantastic.

As for goggles.
I have the 509's. Work great.
Other than that, I have used smith. Make sure they are for snowmobiling.
Double lense with lots of vents.
Take your goggles off when you stop or when digging out and you won't have too much trouble with fogging. Also you can pick up "No Fog" spray and wipes. They work great for taking care of goggle fogging problems.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
You wallet will determine a lot of what you will be looking at.
Eh; i say get the helmet that fits regardless of $. But it's your head, not mine.

Safety equipment is something I don't mind spending some $ on.

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
i have the thor carbon fiber and really like it!!!!! bit pricey, but it is one of the lightest helmets out there, and your neck will thank you at the end of a long day!!!!!!!!! also, arai makes very good($$$$$) helmets

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Eh; i say get the helmet that fits regardless of $. But it's your head, not mine.

Safety equipment is something I don't mind spending some $ on.

As far as safety goes, there isn't much difference between a 300 dollar helmet and a 100 dollar helmet.
The difference is weight, style and confort.

S
Nov 14, 2008
calgary
I wear a ski doo bellaclava and a Troy Lee Designs Se helmet with Anon Goggles. My set up works great and I never have fogging issues.
The Korean helmets(most are hjc and or kbc) are kinda junky compaired to the Japanese lids.
If you have the $ , get a shoei or an Arai.....

Premium Features