• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diagnosing ECU code 5 IAT sensor

M
Feb 20, 2008
La Center, WA
My '07 M8 has been flashing the code 5 for awhile now. It runs just fine, but I want to make it go away. The resistance checks out to the manual's specs and I have tried 2 other sensors on sleds that don't throw codes. I have checked the wiring and it seems to be fine. I get a 623ish ohm reading on the harness plug which is the same as one of the other sleds. Any ideas?

M
Feb 20, 2008
La Center, WA
Does anybody know how the sensors are wired? It seems as though they share a common ground. That may be my problem and it would help to know a bit more about the wiring. The diagram I have just shows that one side is grounded, nothing more.

DPalmerM10

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2008
Crescent,OR
Start your sled, then hold your reverse button for 15 to 30 seconds, that will make it stop sending code. :face-icon-small-coo

M
Feb 20, 2008
La Center, WA
Ok, so I cut off the main sheath and stripped the heat shrink at the sensor ground splice to figure out why my IAT throws a code.

1. Connection from plug to splice. OK
2. Connection from plug to ECU plug. OK
3. IAT sensor ohm's out fine
4. Plugged sensor into harness plug and punched through the wires near the actual sensor with my meter and checked again at the splice and the ECU. OK

ECU issue? What else could it be?

Premium Features