• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heim Joint Failures on SKINZ Concept A-Arms

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Big surprise this is happening. Good thing there are test pilots everywhere riding this stuff. Dangerous ! I'd be choked !

I'd rather have the arms bend to chit than a heim break doing 80km/h down the trail.
Would NOT be fun to loose it at high speed.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
no surprise this is happening, as i said before i would get the z bros and be done with it if i were in the market for a new front suspension. Hopefully someone doesn't get hurt

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
no surprise this is happening, as i said before i would get the z bros and be done with it if i were in the market for a new front suspension. Hopefully someone doesn't get hurt

you must work for zbroz. you really think the guys that spent $1000 on the skinz front end are going to throw it away and buy a new front end just because of a tie rod end issue that skinz is taking care of?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

zbros makes nice stuff but so does skins if i though this was them just being cheap it would be one thing, but they are not knowen for being cheap or putting out a bad product.this was out of there control & it looks like they are taking care of it thats a good company.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
you must work for zbroz. you really think the guys that spent $1000 on the skinz front end are going to throw it away and buy a new front end just because of a tie rod end issue that skinz is taking care of?

I would LOL ! I did. I had a Timbersled front end and i ate it in a few rides. Quality wasnt there back then and it was a matter of time before it fell off. Zbros is way better engineered than the Skinz. Just put them side by side and you will see the difference. It always sucks to be the guy with the inferior product especially when you dish out hard earned cash for something that really isn't well tested. JMO

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
Here's what I think is going to happen but hey I've been wrong lots of times before. It will be determined that the 1/2" rod ends are too small and they will be upgraded to 5/8" which in fact is 56% larger, problem will be that the lower arms will also need to be rebuilt/replaced in order to accept the larger bore 5/8" end. I'm sorry but I don't believe for a second that it is a bad batch of rod ends, I mean think of the liability for the supplier company I am sure they are selling these things to a lot more companies than just Skinz.Bottom line, its a design flaw.

M5

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Easy guys....

Skinz, like Z Bros have tried to put out a product to improve the handling of these sleds for all of us, so we could finally ENJOY the Nytro's handling. They didn't price inferior, and they didn't diliberately build inferior.

It's how they handle this problem now that will count with me, and so far they are addressing it.

The arms aren't failing, the rod ends are, so if they can't make the 1/2" high misalignment rod ends work, then 5/8" will likely be used due to their inherent higher strength. I had a good look at my front end, and IMHO it doesn't look like a big deal if this becomes necessary, but it does take work!

Been to this party before. Equal components don't always work as equals. Sometime it all goes to h*ll and a handbasket.

And if they missed on the engineering, it's still how they handle it that counts, and I'll bet they will honor thier product.

OTM

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
The key is that Skinz is not taking orders 'till February... so that they may fill orders of all of their dealers and distributors who ARE still taking orders.

Uninformed fodder is never good for ANY business, and frankly this thread is one of the MOST skewed I have seen in quite some time. Especially comments from folks who don't even own Nytros, and haven't even seen the kit yet, much less rode it

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Zbros is way better engineered than the Skinz. Just put them side by side and you will see the difference.

Don't take a look in the polaris forums... seems they are having problems with the Zbroz front ends on their sleds too...

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
The key is that Skinz is not taking orders 'till February... so that they may fill orders of all of their dealers and distributors who ARE still taking orders.

Well this is news to me. Maybe they should revise their website to include the fact that if you want parts before then that you have to order from a dealer. What I took from their notice is that they do not have the manpower or material to keep up with demand so they are stopping ALL orders until February to catch up. I don't think I'm the only one who has came to the same conclusion.

I knew full well that these a arms were going to be in short supply this winter and was advised to order early. I opted to wait to hear feed back first before spending the money. After being burnt by the magical and revolutionary rapid bike 3, I have decided to no longer be an early adopter of new products.

I have no doubt in my mind this is a great product just like the airframes and bumper I just purchased. I'm sure this issue will be sorted out soon.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Guys....Parts break, it happens. Quailty control is not what it use to be. If you deal with the parts industry it gets harder all the time to buy good parts.

Last year I had the awesome Idea of running high-strength aluminum hiem joints on my timbersled front end. First stump I brushed sheared off the upper.

Here was the fix.....Box end wrench through the heim/bolt and then handle of wrench hose clamped to a-arm. 10 minute fix, Rode out 15 miles off trail. Eric

001.jpg

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Wow this deal sure has sparked some debate. I have one of the front ends and I am not too worried about it. Everything that I have gotten from Skinz from the Air Frame running boards down to the tunnel bag I just got are amazingly built. Which would lead me to believe they are losing a lot of sleep over this deal.

I know with the work that I do on people's vehicles it is very upsetting to me when something is not right with a customer's car. I have no doubt that Skinz feels the same way right now.

It is nice to have Jeff around again this year setting people straight isn't it? He does it in such a diplomatic style:)

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Well this is news to me. Maybe they should revise their website to include the fact that if you want parts before then that you have to order from a dealer.

Thank you for looking at Skinz products.
Please keep in mind that we are a manufacturer (which means we build the products (here in the USA) and we sell to distributors who in turn sell to dealers who make them available to you for purchase. Dealers (retail outlets) are set up and designed to sell to the consumer.

We do make our products available for purchase if you can not find anyone who carries the product you are looking for. But......please keep in mind..... We are not a retail business. We may not have stock in the item you are looking for (at least at certain times of the year) and so you will most likely have to wait while we build it. WE CAN NOT CHECK STOCK SO PLEASE DO NOT ORDER FROM US IF YOU CAN NOT WAIT. Check with your local dealer to see if they have stock in the product you are looking for.

Please look at our info section of our website for more information.

Thank you for your understanding. We appreciate you choosing Skinz Products.

This is straight from the website and I think it makes it pretty clear that you should check with a dealer first as they supply the dealers first.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Ya I read that a couple months ago. Meh, maybe I am the only one who thought that their new website notice meant they weren't making any new product that people hadnt already ordered until February. Good to know I can still get a a-arm kit sooner than later if I decide to get it over the zbroz.

Premium Features