• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 TM1000 - Reflash or not?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I will be putting a turbo on my '08 M1000 next year. Right now I have the stock ECU program. Should I have it reflashed? Will it even matter once the turbo is on or does the base program not really make any difference?

I would like to do the '09 update just so I can have engine reverse. My dealer told me not to do the update. He claims with any mods the '08 program works better. Another dealer told me to do the update and that the extra fuel of the '09 program works better with a turbo.

Anyone tried both programs on a turbo sled?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I'd agree with the dealer on this one........I've heard about a lot of poor running 1000's after getting the update. But I've heard of some good ones after the update as well! lol I do think this is keeping everything stock though, and if you have a fuel control box I don't think it is an issue.

I've got a 07 M1000 turbo and the ECU is not updated. I think it runs great and can't imagine it running any better. I was thinking about updating for the reverse as well but for a 07 there is alot more cost involved. I don't think it will matter with the turbo, you can easily tune for any baseline fuel settings.

Didn't help much did I? LOL

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
ecu reflash...

theres a lot more to adding reverse than just updating your ecu

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Engine reverse on the 2008 is the only reason to update the ECU if you are going to do a turbo kit. I like the updated ECU by far better when tuning for Powercommander or any naturally aspirated modifications, but with a turbo system you are bypassing the fuel anyway and so it is not a big deal. I really like the original 2007 program for the turbo sleds. The fact of the matter is....if you install a turbo, your last issue is the ECU upgrade. You should be looking into a courage upgrade because you will be able to go places that will really test your stones. Also plan on some really bad wrinkles on your face from smiling..... it's the price you pay.:face-icon-small-ton

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Engine reverse on the 2008 is the only reason to update the ECU if you are going to do a turbo kit. I like the updated ECU by far better when tuning for Powercommander or any naturally aspirated modifications, but with a turbo system you are bypassing the fuel anyway and so it is not a big deal. I really like the original 2007 program for the turbo sleds. The fact of the matter is....if you install a turbo, your last issue is the ECU upgrade. You should be looking into a courage upgrade because you will be able to go places that will really test your stones. Also plan on some really bad wrinkles on your face from smiling..... it's the price you pay.:face-icon-small-ton
yes really bad wrinkles.TM1000 rider :face-icon-small-hap

sub_14623.jpg

Last edited:

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Hey B1........

Is that a smile and scared $hi*less put together?!?!?!?

:face-icon-small-ton

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
You are saying the 2007 program works better with a turbo than the newer programs? You also say you are bypassing the fuel anyway, so it doesn't matter. I assume then the base program does make some difference?

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
The 09 reflash for my 08 M1000 ruined my sled.... Until I spent some quality time with a boondocker box. Without the box my sled would get absolutely destroyed by bone stock M8's. Now I run an SLP pipe and am pretty happy with the 09 re-flash. Hopefully I'll have a turbo on it next winter, and will be able to answer this question for you if you havent already answered it for yourself. :face-icon-small-hap

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
You still use some of the stock ECU program but not near as much of it. More in the LOW rpm ranges with lower load or on the lower end of the TPS sensor.

I agree with older program as well.
By older, are you saying you think the '08 program is better than the '09 program for a turbo or are you talking about the '07 program?

I will live without reverse, if it means my sled runs better.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Anyone have a turbo M1000 they have ran with both the 2008 flash and the '09 reflash? I have read the '09 program is richer on the very bottom and turbos don't like being rich on the bottom.

Maybe I should just listen to RACINSTATION and quit worrying about it. I am installing a Diamond Lite and would like to keep reverse, so I guess I should just get the update.

Premium Features