• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Valdez/Thompsons Pass Conditions:

I JUST heard on the news this AM that the Richardson Hwy is closed due to 7 feet of snowfall through Thompson Pass in the past day or so.

Wow!

Tina, not that I don't trust you, but I happened to be checking road conditions, so I double-checked.... DOT website says Richardson Highway: from Milepost 12 to Milepost 42, road closed to traffic, avalanche control work, Comment: Road will be closed until approximately 12;00 Noon 12-16-09

Oh, wait a minute.... Philip is on the phone with somebody in Valdez, and he said they DID GET 7ft of snow in the pass!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
Decided to take an adventure to Valdez and the Pass! Amazing trip, those mountains are incredible. The snow conditions are decent, however the higher you climb the thinner it gets, from the wind. One of my buddies hit a rock and destroyed his left trailing arm, shock, and who knows what else. It was worth the drive down tho, should've stayed one more night... but decided to leave before i found a rock! Won't go back until they get another 30 inches.

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

IMG_6780.jpg

HMMMM I think I mentioned something about not getting in a hurry. Lucky only one sled got trashed.

As of right now the pass opened about 30 minutes ago. And if they say it's from AVY control maybe it would be a good idea to let this massive storm set in for a couple! :beer;:beer;

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
So you didn't trust her!!! LOL

Now, now Travis we know a cat fight between these two would be most entertaining to watch, but lets not push it :D
Hee hee JK ladies I know you're both too chill for that.

Thanks Travis, I am glad you know what I meant! No, of course I did not trust her, she is a woman!!! :D
And of course, I would not fight her either:cool:
(I am about a foot taller then she is) :beer;

Thanks Trav!;)

Amanda I need to correct you - it would be a Jap-Can (japanese sled vs Canadian sled)fight and you are right I'm a lover not a fighter :lips::D

Dasha, Dasha, Dasha......always trust this SHORT, old and wise woman! ;) LOL!

X
Jan 24, 2009
Eagle River
Thanks Trav!;)

Amanda I need to correct you - it would be a Jap-Can (japanese sled vs Canadian sled)fight and you are right I'm a lover not a fighter :lips::D

Dasha, Dasha, Dasha......always trust this SHORT, old and wise woman! ;) LOL!

Tina maybe we shouldn't even joke about sled fights! YOur Yami didn't fair so well against my cat...but maybe it wasn't a fair fight since it wasn't you riding it...
AND you may be a lover BUT DAMNNNN you're scary (but cute) when you're pissed ;)

S
Oct 14, 2008
robb ab
just drove back to valdez eureka has about a foot of snow valdez 3 to 4 feet of new snow couldnt see the pass very well dark and the wind was blowing i will have a look tommorrow

Premium Features