• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy Beacons...Good-Bad-Ugly

I am running barrvox's. I don't mind a variety of transceivers in my group.....actually prefer it. if there is any anomoaly with one brand I know the others might get through it. training is key. it starts with a group talk and slope assesment, risk management and rescue training. all the gear in the world is not gonna keep you and your crew from screwing up.....it just helps your family get some closure.

W

Warrior67

Nov 28, 2007
Hello, I am fairly new to "back country" riding, and watching some avy vids and reading some recent posts on areas I have ridden without even thinking of an avy possibly happening, kinda freaks me out! I realize I definately need a beacon! What is anyone's opinion on the ortovox m2? I am thinking of getting a couple for me and riding buddy. Are they(m2) digital or analog? Are probes really useful in a rescue? I agree with the alum shovel comments! Also like the idea of hiding the beer w/the beacon, very good idea!:beer;:D
First off take an avi course best money can possibly spend.

Aluminum shovels are a must as well as a probe. Any of the new beacons will serve their purpose, as long as you learn how they work and you practice using it. Take a course and be comfortable with using your beacon! Also, making sure that everyone you ride with have all the proper safety gear and know how to use it is just as important. After all, if you get burried, who do you want looking for you.... a trained person with the proper tools or....sled ed?? We all spend a lot of cash on our sleds...make sure to invest in safety training and equipment. In B.C. avalanche.ca is a great site.

F
Oct 3, 2008
Land of 10,000 Lakes
Thanks a million

Thank you guys so much for the info.....I ditched the ortovox shovel and replaced it with the HUGE Backcountry Access Chugach Pro Shovel....and pulled the trigger on the Tracker DTS, not because of price, but because all of my riding buddies (10) have it, and want to help me practice speed with the same one they know.

Safe riding.

-Dusty

Premium Features