• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

moving skid back 144-151

R
Nov 29, 2007
Add the extensions, your track will wrap up in front of the rails being that far back and you will lose more than you gain by running the longer track.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Prince Rupert, BC
If this is for your '01 MC, there was a good thread on the old forum with a link to how to do a proper setback on the '02's, I would imagine the 01's are the same. Basically, change your drivers, go to a big wheel kit on the back, and move the skid back 2 3/8's (I think), and down 1". Actually makes it perform a lot better, less trenching. I don't have the link anymore, sorry.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
i think i may have read it. well i guess ima just do extensions, i like where i have my skid set a lot. i wanna go with the VE ext. cuz they are cheaper and use an 8in wheel. but i hear the tracks usa ext. are the best. opinions?

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I put a 144 skid under my T-cat with a 151 night and day difference, it improves your angle of attack and the sled gets up on top of the snow way better.
It isn't a difficult mod only takes a couple of hours to relocate your rear brackets. They actually line up so you just don't use a couple of the front holes all of the other holes in the tunnel will be re-used. I now run a 162 but just moving the rails back is an excellent mod. and doesn't cost anything except for some rivets.

Not sure if it was my thread you read on the old forum, but I posted pic's and how to's on for this upgrade.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
if it was on a thundercat then no i didnt. i beleive i read a thread on rear scissor placement or sumthing. if u could direct me to the thread thatd be nicee. thanks

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
I just lengthened my '01 MC 800 this winter. I thought about going with extensions, but found that it was actually cheaper just to buy a set of 2003 151" rails and sell my 144" rails. The 151" rails bolt right up to the suspension and it requires no modification of your snowmobile.

I would reccommend that route verses extensions since not only is it cheaper, but it looks better, and has to be stronger since the rails were designed to be that long and they're one solid piece, not 2 pieces bolted together. Plus, the single rail is lighter.

If you are lengthening your sled, if you haven't already bought your track, get the 16" wide track. It adds a lot of flotation and fits right under the sled with virtually no modification whatsoever (minimal grinding of rivets).

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
amery iv already got a 16 wide, after riding rev summits... i was sold on em lol. and im not sure as of what im doin now. iv got a couple weeks befre i slap em on. but im always open minded towards things. i was thinkin next year bout swapping to the new float skid, and just running extensions and the 144s this year, just to get the track in.

G
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB
don't want to hi-jack your thread, but wondering if if anyone has done the same thing on an M series sled?? I have a 144 track and a 141 skid. When I put it on there was more than enough adjustent, to account for the slightly bigger track. After the first ride the track seems to have stretched a bit, and now I don't have enought adjustment. Wondering if I can just move the skid back a bit. I have a 9'' wheel kit and freedom axle, but If I can make it work without using these it would be great.

D
Dec 3, 2007
grande prairie, alberta
ive done this a few times and the best i found was to move the rails back, leave your rear mounts in the stock position and move your rear arm, springs and shock ''forward'' in the rails the same amount as you move your rails back. this mantains your sleds overall lenght and avoids the additional ski pressure you will gain by moving your mounts back. on a 01 chassis you won't believe the improvement in the powder wichever way you do it as long as you move your rails back and stay away from extensions. the one downfall i found is your ride gets worse the further back your rails are due to you end up sitting directly over your front spring.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
hey dobson thats pretty doable, as for the ride discomfort, its good enuff for the kinda girls i go for. im lookin forward to getting that track on. unfortunatly is a camo lite, but hell, i couldnt beat the price a fellow snowester is offering me.

Premium Features