• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

big bores?

B
Jun 25, 2009
inkom, id
how reliable are modern day big bores? i have heard a lot of negativity towards them in the past but that was 10 years ago. i am looking at a m6 with a 800 kit in it. so how much less reliable will it be than stock? thanks

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Just my opinion, but the biggest "unreliable" thing to a big bore especially on an efi sled is that you have to (usually) run a fuel control box to add the extra fuel. As soon as you alter the mixture from the factory controlled set up, you open up a TON of possibilities to have problems. There are some set-ups that don't require the control box (RKT I know has some), and imo they will be more reliable than those that do, BUT imo you probably don't get as much bang for the buck you spent to do in the first place (again just my opinion). If you're not scared of tuning, you're willing to be patient to get things dialed in and BROKEN IN properly, and willing to spend the money for a big improvement over stock, I'd recommend a Cutler 1000 big bore (if you're going to do it, go all the way imo, why do 800 when you can do 1000). I ran one for several years, and the power gain was HUGE over a stock M7, so over a M6 would be even more noticeable. IT IS NOT A PULL AND GO SLED THAT YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO EXCEPT PUT GAS AND OIL IN, but if you're smart and patient, you'll have a smile on your face you haven't had before while on your stock sled guaranteed!!!! As cutler told me when I got mine, it's as if you were cramming a V8 into a volkswagon. The light weight sled combination with the up to 200 hp is an incredible combination that WILL NOT dissapoint!!

Premium Features